Career Center to hold virtual career fair Monday through Thursday

0
176
K-State Students visit the career fair in Bramlage Coliseum in Manhattan, Kan., on Sept. 20, 2017. (Archive photo by Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The All-University Career Fair will take place virtually from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday next week.

Different employers will be at the fair throughout the week.

• Monday, Sept. 21 — Agriculture, Health, Science/Math and Vet Medicine
  • Tuesday, Sept. 22 — Business, Communications, Hospitality and Visual Arts
  • Wednesday, Sept. 23 — Education, Government/Law, Social Services and Humanities
  • Thursday, Sept. 24 — Architecture, Aviation, Computer Science and Engineering

Kerri Keller, director of the Career Center, said this year’s event will be “highly engaging and valuable to both students and employers, but it will be very different.”

For past, in-person career fairs at Bramlage Coliseum, Keller said, students came out for whatever they could squeeze into their schedule. Students would locate prospective employers’ tables on the floor and get in line to talk with them.

Keller said the Career Center describes the virtual fair as a chance for students to “ditch the line,” by signing up for times they’re available.

There are two types of sessions offered: group sessions of up to 50 students where employers will give a video-based presentation, or 10 minute, one-on-one sessions.

Keller said the online format will provide students the opportunity to get more out of the career fair than in previous years.

“Before, if a student came out, they could spend an hour, you’ll talk to five or six employers,” she said. “Now, students can probably talk to twice as many employers if they will register in advance and sign up for sessions.”

If students aren’t able to register for a specific time, they can still drop in when they’re available and see where there are openings.

The Career Center will be available to provide technical help to students and employers via Zoom, Keller said.

“It really takes students showing up at the online event, trying it out and getting their feedback to us once they’ve experienced it,” Keller said.

The Career Center is offering prizes for students who attend and complete an evaluation of the event. There will be a grand prize drawing at the end of the week for two gift cards to the K-State Student Union.

Students can register for times to meet employers at the Career Center website.

Registration and access to the event are available through students’ Handshake accounts.