Wildcats lose 1-4 against Mountaineers in first away game of the season

0
52
Then-junior Brookelynn Entz walks to other side of field at game against Arkansas State on August 30, 2019. Arkansas won 2-1. (File photo Luis Villarreal-Reyes | Collegian Media Group)

“Let’s go purple! Let’s go! Come on!” senior midfielder Brookelynn Entz shouted — loud enough to be picked up on the ESPN+ broadcast — to her teammates about five minutes into the Kansas State soccer team’s 4-1 loss at West Virginia.

Just a couple minutes later, she settled a pass over the top and kicked the ball past a sliding goalie at the top of the goalie’s box. She stumbled out of the keeper’s tackle and attempted to shoot the ball with a slide.

A Mountaineer partially blocked the shot, but Entz powered through and scored with another shot attempt to put K-State up 1-0.

Senior defender Shelby Lierz delivered the pass to Entz to record her first career assist. She played 82 minutes — the most in her career.

“Tonight was an opportunity for a lot of our players to get on the field,” K-State head coach Mike Dibbini said to K-State Sports. “There were a lot of players that weren’t here this evening that would have given us depth and experience, but it was beneficial for the players that made the trip. They held their own but we have a lot of work to do.”

K-State scored its first goal against West Virginia in the five-year history of the program and marked Entz’s program-record 11th career goal.

Momentarily, K-State lead West Virginia despite being dominated in possession early in the game.

The lead lasted four minutes before Mountaineer sophomore forward Enzi Broussard found her way past Wildcat freshman goalkeeper Alaina Werremeyer to tie the game at 1-1, her first of two goals.

“Unfortunately, we haven’t been in a position in the early stages of this season of being up a goal,” Dibbini said. “We sat back for the next 10 minutes and some of the anxiety of defending came back into our play. They kept coming at us during that time.”

West Virginia added goals 12 minutes in, 53 minutes in and 67 minutes in to secure the win.

Werremeyer recorded eight saves in her first career start for the Wildcats, who struggled to clear the ball in front of her and prevent the Mountaineers from open possession in the defensive third.

The Mountaineers outshot K-State 17-4 in the game and put 12 of those on target vs just two shots on goal for the Wildcats.

K-State is now 0-4 against West Virginia and 2-27-0 in Big 12 play in program history.

K-State will take on the TCU Horned Frogs in Manhattan at Buser Family Park at 7 p.m. September 25 on ESPN+ and 101.5 KROCK.

Nathan Enserro
Hi! I'm Nathan Enserro, a graduate student from Olathe, Kansas, working on a Masters in Mass Communication. I graduated in spring 2020 with a Bachelor's of Science in strategic communications from K-State. This is my fourth year covering K-State sports for the Collegian.