REVIEW: ‘Mulan’ remake is for a new generation

0
54

Disney’s 2020 live-action remake of “Mulan” is made for a new generation of Disney fans, not necessarily their parents.

Disney’s foray into remakes of classic movies has been hit-and-miss. One reason they have gotten mixed reviews is the fact that people are comparing the live-action and CGI movies to the original animated ones, which simply shouldn’t be done.

The new movies are made for new, young audiences — not necessarily for fans of the originals.

However, while “Mulan” was enjoyable, it was probably not worth paying $29.99 for only one viewing.

To its credit, the movie was rich in symbolism and filled with color: reds, oranges, yellows, purples — all the colors or the rainbow. This felt very Disney-esque and also corresponds to the importance of colors in Chinese culture.

The Imperial Army wears red, which symbolizes fortune and joy. Even when Mulan returns home, she wears red to see her family again.

Unlike most Disney movies, “Mulan” didn’t have any musical numbers. However, the new movie nods to the original with an instrumental version of “Reflection” that played in the background at points when Mulan faced challenges.

Other aspects of songs from the 1998 version made it into the dialogue of the movie as well. Some lyrics of “A Girl Worth Fighting For” made it into a conversation between the men and Mulan.

Now, a big issue some people have shared on social media is the fact there is no love interest in the movie. To me, that’s great.

“Mulan” shouldn’t be about finding a husband. The movie is about Mulan bringing honor to her family and saving the country she loves. Her focus when leaving home is to not find a husband — it’s to find herself. She does just that.

Disney also makes a reference to the #MeToo movement and survivors of sexual assault — the chorus of men saying, “I believe Hua Mulan,” was enough to give anyone goosebumps.

Overall, this movie has a much different tone than the original animated version, but that’s OK. This is a different world and movies should reflect that.

Hopefully, children can watch this movie and be inspired. They can see themselves on the screen and imagine what they can do.

Despite not premiering on the big screen, the cinematography and story of the film is nonetheless impressive. Moreover, the new movie reiterates the importance of being true to yourself and fighting for what you believe in.

Bailey Britton is the Collegian editor-in-chief and a junior in journalism and English. The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Collegian. Please send comments to opinion@kstatecollegian.com.

Bailey Britton
My name is Bailey Britton and I am the editor-in-chief of the Collegian. Previously, I have been the assistant news editor and the managing editor. I have also interned for the Manhattan Mercury and the Colby Free Press. I grew up in Colby, Kansas, and I am a junior in journalism and English. Through the Collegian, I aim to provide the K-State community with quality news coverage while we learn to serve our campus.