TAKE A LOOK: COVID-19 in Riley County by the numbers on Sept. 23

0
158
(Infographic by Kaylie McLaughlin | Collegian Media Group)

The Riley County Health Department reported 79 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, bringing the local total to 1,722.

As of Monday, more than 75 percent of all cases in the county are in people aged 18 to 24.

Since Aug. 17 — the first day of classes at Kansas State — the county added more than 1,200 new cases of COVID-19.

The local and campus positivity rates both fell. At K-State, the percent of positives fell below 10 percent. In the community at-large, the positivity rate remains in the ballpark of 13 percent.

Additionally, 1,123 of those who previously tested positive are considered recovered, leaving 591 active cases in the county.

Riley County documented eight COVID-19-related deaths to date. The most recent deaths were announced last week after residents from Homestead of Manhattan Assisted Living Facility died. There are now three local deaths associated with the outbreak.

At this time, there have been more than 8,025 negative tests administered in the county. Three positive patients are currently hospitalized at Ascension Via Christi.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.