Behind the Mask: K-State’s resident superhero finds his super suit during pandemic

0
1157
In a video he posted to his Twitter, Lane Porter, dressed as Frozone, reminded Wildcats to wear their masks. (Photo Courtesy of Lane Porter)

It might still be a little warm out, but that didn’t stop Frozone from dusting off his super suit and making an appearance on campus earlier this month.

Lane Porter, senior in secondary education and math, said the first time he considered dressing up as the cartoon superhero was Halloween his freshman year.

“I had a little DIY outfit that was kind of dorky. I rode around in my Heelys,” he said. “After that, I was like, ‘I could have done so much better.’”

His Heelys did the job, but Porter decided it was time to start taking things more seriously.

“That second semester of my freshman year, I picked up rollerblading,” he said. “Eventually, I got the hang of it, and then I was able to show up my sophomore year as ‘Frozone.’”

Even outside of holidays when it’s socially acceptable to dress up like a superhero, Porter donned his super suit around campus.

“I’ve dressed up three times other than Halloween,” he said. “Usually to go mess around in the snow.”

For many superheroes, anonymity is essential. While knowledge of Porter’s identity as Kansas State’s resident superhero was originally kept within a close circle of band friends and dormmates, he recently began posting photos and videos of himself dressed as Frozone on his personal Twitter.

Earlier this month, a student tweeted that seeing “the kid who dresses up as Frozone” skating around campus would make her day.

It was Porter’s time to shine.

“That tweet made me really happy,” Porter said. “So, I thought, ‘Why don’t I make someone happy in return?’”

Even without the suit, it’s hard to miss someone rollerblading around campus. Porter said he occasionally runs into people who recognize him.

“Normally, when I’m skating around, no one really says much, but every now and then, somebody goes ‘Hey, are you Frozone?’”

Porter may be able to shoot ice from his hands, though this has never been confirmed, but even superheroes have their limitations when it comes to the pandemic.

With only one in-person class, Porter said he’s “not a fan” of all the changes to everyday life.

“I noticed I’m going to campus less often, rollerblading less,” Porter said. “That was my favorite way to get to class.”

Porter said he uses exercise to try to get himself out of the pandemic slump.

“You’ll probably catch me breakdancing at Memorial Stadium,” he said.

Porter can often be found working out at Memorial Stadium or practicing his rollerblading around town. (Courtesy Image from Lane Porter)

In a final word of advice to the good citizens of Manhattan, Frozone said taking care of oneself is always essential — especially now.

“Make some time for you,” Porter said. “You should be able to go outside, socially distance, walk around, get out of the house, do what you can. Something that’ll let you de-stress.”

As the weather begins to cool down, make sure to look out for Porter or his alter-ego rollerblading around town. He just might save your day.