Women’s golf takes eighth place at Schooner Classic tournament

0
93
Senior Reid Isaac finished tied for first in the Schooner Classic in Norman, Okla. over Sunday and Monday. (Archive photo by Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State senior Reid Isaac earned a share of the Schooner Classic title along with Baylor’s Gurleen Kaur after a windy two days in Norman, Oklahoma.

Isaac shot the second-best 54-hole score in school history. She shot an even-par 70 in the first round on Sunday and 65 in the second round. She finished with an even-par 70 in the third round.

“It was a really great feeling,” Isaac told K-State Sports. “All day just felt like a battle, fighting for pars. It was frustrating but I didn’t realize how far I was at the top. It was a really good feeling to come off the course and ask [Head Coach Jared Helin] where I stood and found out that it was up at the top.”

On Sunday, Isaac chipped in eight birdies over the first 30 holes before high winds suspended play. When play resumed Monday, Isaac started slow but hit two birdies and an eagle in the final three holes of the round to score a career-best 65, the second-lowest 18-hole-total in program history.

Finishing the third round with an even-par 70 and a total of 205, Isaac split the second win of her career with Kaur after the Baylor Bear shot a 67 in the final round to tie with Isaac.

As a team, the Wildcats finished in eighth place with a score of 877 — 37-over par, just one stroke ahead of Iowa State.

Senior Niamh McSherry came away in thirty-fourth place, the next best finish for the Wildcats over the weekend.

Juniors Heather Fourtushniak and Briony Bayles finished one stroke apart. Fourtushniak finished in forty-eighth place with a 73, 75 and 82 over the three rounds for a total of 230, while Bayles finished at forty-ninth place with an 83, 72 and 76 for a three-round total of 231.

Graduate student Brooke Nolte took fifty-fourth place overall after a 72, 76 and 86 performance for a final tally of 234.

The Wildcats will finish their season on Oct. 22 and 23 in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

Cameron Bradley
Hey! I’m Cameron Bradley and I am the sports editor for the Collegian! I am a junior from Wichita, Kansas, and I am majoring in journalism. When I’m not working for the Collegian, I’m creating content and putting on broadcasts with K-StateHD.TV. I am also currently a member of the Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity. I love sports, spending time with friends, family and doing everything that I do for the glory of God!