Cayman Island Classics Tournament canceled

0
210
Freshman guard DaJuan Gordon releases a three point shot during K-State men’s basketball's sunflower showdown against Kansas in Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 29, 2020. Gordon is one of the top returners for the 2020-21 season. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State men’s basketball team suffered yet another roadblock before the beginning of the 2020 season after the Cayman Islands Classic was canceled on Wednesday afternoon.

After being relocated from the Cayman Islands to the campus of Northwest Florida State College in Niceville, Florida, the tournament was canceled in its entirety after the NCAA pushed back the start of men’s basketball season to Nov. 25.

The tournament was originally set to be played from Nov. 23 to Nov. 25.

“Obviously, we are disappointed that we won’t be able to compete in the Cayman Islands Classic this season,” head coach Bruce Weber told K-State Sports. “It was a really competitive field and would have been a great challenge for our team. We look forward to being a part of the tournament in a future season.”

The Wildcats were scheduled to play three games in the fourth edition of the tournament, including an opening matchup against Oregon State. The tournament featured opponents such as Miami, Ole Miss and Nevada.

“We are disappointed because we had an incredible lineup, and we were excited to watch these talented teams compete,” CEO for Caymax Sports Joe Wright said. “We look forward to welcoming teams back to the Cayman Islands in 2021.”

The men’s basketball season is still in limbo as the 2020-21 schedule has yet to be released. According to the K-State press release on Wednesday, the NCAA pushed back the season from Nov. 10 to Nov. 25 due to COVID-19.

The Wildcats were scheduled to face Central Arkansas on Nov. 12 of this year and were scheduled to host an opening-round game of the Cayman Islands Classic.

The Wildcats finished at the bottom of the Big 12 last season with an 11-21 record. K-State did finish the season on a high note though with a win over TCU in the 2020 Big 12 Tournament before the cancellation of the season.

K-State lost several players to the transfer portal, including senior guard Cartier Diarra, who transferred to Virginia Tech. Senior guard Mike McGuirl is the lone senior on the roster for the season.