K-State finishes in seventh place at Colonial Collegiate Invitational

0
54
Junior Will Hopkins practice on April 15, 2019 at Colbert Hills golf course. Hopkins finished in a tie for 31st in Fort Worth, Texas on Sept. 29, 2020. (Brooke Barrett | Collegian Media Group)

After finishing day one in fourth place at the Colonial Collegiate Invitational, the Kansas State men’s golf team slipped and finished in seventh place after shooting a plus-13 on day two.

As a team, the Wildcats shot 14-over on Tuesday turning into a two-day total of 867 (+27). They finished four strokes behind Baylor, TCU and Kansas who tied for fourth.

“It was a struggle today,” head coach Grant Robbins told K-State Sports. “The greens really firmed up as the day went on and made the course play extremely difficult. Our guys showed a lot of grit this week, we just weren’t good enough tee to green. I did really like the fight I saw, especially in some of the younger guys.”

Wildcat sophomore Tim Tillmanns and freshman Luke O’Neill both placed in the top-15 individually for the tournament.

Tillimanns was able to snag his first career top-10 finish individually by shooting a 213 (+3) to finish in a tie for tenth place. O’Neill didn’t shoot far behind his teammate after finishing the event with a 214 (+4).

After the performance, the Wildcats will enter Big 12 match play this weekend as the No. 7 seed — they were the No. 10 seed entering the past two events. The team will get ready for their next event at Houston Oaks.

Match-ups and tee times will be released later in the week.