Soccer, football travel to the Lone Star State this week

0
122
Soccer and football both travel to Texas this weekend, with soccer squaring off with Texas on Friday and football taking on TCU on Saturday. (Infographic by Kaylie McLaughlin | Collegian Media Group)

In a somewhat quiet week for K-State Sports, soccer and football both travel to Texas.

SOCCER

Shelby Lierz looks to pass during the Kansas State soccer game against Kansas at Buser Family Park on Oct. 2. (Sophie Osborn | Collegian Media Group)
Senior defender Shelby Lierz looks to make a pass during the soccer game against Kansas at Buser Family Park on Oct. 2. The Wildcats fell to the No. 6 Jayhawks, 1-0. (Sophie Osborn | Collegian Media Group)

After playing three teams ranked inside the Top 10 of the United Soccer Coaches poll to start the 2020 season, including a battle with the sixth-ranked Jayhawks on Friday night, the soccer team finally has a date with an unranked opponent.

The Wildcats will travel to Austin, Texas, at 5 p.m. on Friday night to take on the Longhorns at Mike A. Myers Stadium and Soccer Field.

Texas is currently 1-3 on the season and below the middle of the pack in the Big 12 Conference standings at No. 7. The Longhorns are coming off a 2-1 road loss to West Virginia where the team was limited to just four shots in the whole game.

K-State is 0-3 on the season and sits at the bottom of the conference standings. The Wildcats struggled with COVID-19 protocols this season and saw two matches postponed due to the virus.

K-State’s roster has also been shortened by quarantines and injuries, fielding only 18 players in each of the last two matches.

The Wildcats fell to Kansas on Friday night 1-0, but kept close with the sixth-ranked Jayhawks. In the end, the soccer team just couldn’t capitalize on their six shots on goal.

FOOTBALL

True freshman quarterback Will Howard runs past a Texas Tech defender during the Wildcats 31-21 victory on Saturday afternoon at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (Dalton Wainscott | Collegian Media Group).
True freshman quarterback Will Howard runs past a Texas Tech defender during the football game against Texas Tech on Oct. 3, 2020. The Wildcats defeated the Red Raiders 31-21 at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (Dalton Wainscott | Collegian Media Group).

The football team is on a two-game winning-streak after a 31-21 victory over Texas Tech on Saturday afternoon. The Wildcats will take on another Texas opponent this weekend, traveling to Fort Worth to take on TCU at 3 p.m. on Saturday.

TCU is currently 1-1 on the year and No. 7 in the Big 12 standings.

The Horned Frogs are coming off of a massive 33-31 upset victory over No 9. Texas on Saturday with sophomore quarterback Max Duggan leading the way with 310-yards of total offense.

Texas had an opportunity to take the lead back late on the one-yard line, but junior running back Keaontay Ingram fumbled the ball away following a push for the goal line. TCU proceeded to run out the clock.

K-State is 2-1 on the year and No. 3 in the conference standings behind Iowa State and Oklahoma State.

Midway through the second quarter on Saturday, starting senior quarterback Skylar Thompson took a big hit from Texas Tech’s senior linebacker Riko Jeffers. Thompson didn’t return to play for the rest of the game, leaving his status going forward uncertain. He walked out of the locker room later in the game with a sling on his right arm and in street clothes.

True freshman Will Howard took over the duties at quarterback and got the job done, assisted by a stellar performance from another true freshman running back Deuce Vaughn.

Vaughn ran for 113-yard and scored twice on the day, including a 70-yard touchdown reception, putting the game to bed late in the fourth. Howard finished his game going 7-12 through the air for 173-yards and one touchdown.

Saturday afternoon’s game will air live on FOX with live audio available through the K-State Sports Network.

Hey! I’m Cameron Bradley and I am the sports editor for the Collegian! I am a junior from Wichita, Kansas, and I am majoring in journalism. When I’m not working for the Collegian, I’m creating content and putting on broadcasts with K-StateHD.TV. I am also currently a member of the Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity. I love sports, spending time with friends, family and doing everything that I do for the glory of God!