Herbers, Willman pushed Team Grey past Team Purple first game of K-State’s Fall World Series

0
69
Luke Hauswirth pitches the ball during the first game of the intrasquad Fall World Series at Tointon Family Stadium on October 8th. (Sophie Osborn | Collegian Media Group)

The baseball team opened the first of three fall scrimmage games this weekend in the annual Fall World Series on Thursday afternoon. Team Grey took game one with a 4-0, one-hit shutout over Team Purple.

Junior right-handed pitcher Zak Herbers went 5 and two-thirds innings, allowing two hits and three strikeouts. Team Purple senior right-hander Luke Hauswirth went 4 and one-third innings with two runs, three hits and four strikeouts.

The two starters pitched three innings of no-hit baseball.

The first hit of the game came at the top of the fourth inning with a double by sophomore infielder Daniel Carinci. He advanced to third on an overthrown pickoff attempt. Carinci led Team Purple going 1-3 with the double.

Junior shortstop Kameron Willman opened the scoring with an RBI single in the fourth inning. Senior outfielder Cameron Littlejim followed suit in the fourth with an RBI single to take a 2-0 lead. Team Purple ended the two-out rally by throwing out Littlejim at second in an attempt to stretch out a double.

“Great pitching and timely hitting, but we played infield defense at a really high level,” head coach Pete Hughes said in a K-State sports press release. “When you can do that, your pitchers have a whole lot more confidence to throw the ball in the zone.”

Sophomore left-hander Eric Torres replaced Hauswirth in the first inning. Torres finished out the game, allowing two runs on two hits and a strikeout.

The top of the order for Team Grey threatened again in the bottom of the sixth with a single by Dylan Phillips, the first baserunner since the fourth inning. Kameron Willman brought him home with a 2-run home run to center field to take a 4-0 lead. Willman went 2-3 at the plate with three RBIs, including the 404-foot home run.

“Good to see some of our older guys like Kamron Willman get some big hits,” Hughes said. “Dylan Phillips was awesome at the plate and then on the mound too. It was really, really good stuff. The energy level was awesome, as it always is in our program.”

Dylan Phillips replaced Herbers in the sixth inning and kept Team Purple hitless with two strikeouts.

The Wildcats will play two more Fall World Series games, the next one will be 6 p.m Friday. and the finale at noon Saturday. Admission to all games is free at Tointon Family Stadium, but the maximum capacity is set at 25 percent and masks are required.