Skylar Thompson out for season after undergoing “upper-body” surgery

0
435
Senior quarterback Skylar Thompson throws to a receiver as Texas Tech defenders close in. The Wildcats beat the Red Raiders 31-21 on Fort Riley Day at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (Dalton Wainscott | Collegian Media Group).

Kansas State senior quarterback Skylar Thompson will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing surgery for an “upper-body injury” he sustained on Oct. 3 against Texas Tech.

Head coach Chris Klieman announced the news during Monday’s Big 12 Conference teleconference.

“Skylar’s going to be done for the year,” Klieman said. “He had surgery last week on an upper-body injury. So unfortunately, his season is over with. We’re going to rally around Will Howard and Nick Ast.”

Thompson’s injury occurred in the second quarter of the game against the Red Raiders two weeks ago. He took a hit that drove his shoulder into the turf. The training staff assisted Thompson to the locker room holding his right arm.

In the second half of that game, he was seen in a sling. He was even in talks to be able to play the next week against TCU. However, he did not make the trip to Fort Worth and freshman quarterback Will Howard took control of the offense.

No other details about the injury are available at this time.

The injury halts a promising season for Thompson, who finishes with 626 passing yards on 62.5 percent passing. He had four touchdowns through the air and three on the ground. Thompson also helped lead the Wildcats to a comeback victory against then-No. 3 ranked Oklahoma.

The No. 22 ranked Wildcats appear to be rolling with Howard as the starter with Thompson’s absence. He came into the Texas Tech game after Thompson’s injury and threw for 173 yards and a touchdown, leading to a comeback victory.

He threw for 117 yards and rushed for 86 yards against TCU on Saturday.

K-State is 3-1 on the season and 3-0 in Big 12 play. The team will be back in action against Kansas on Oct. 24.