TAKE A LOOK: COVID-19 in Riley County by the numbers on Oct. 14

0
151
(Infographic by Kaylie McLaughlin | Collegian Media Group)

As Riley County surpassed the 2,000 case threshold on Wednesday, the county reported its tenth COVID-19 related death.

The death occurred in early September when a 96-year-old female resident of the Homestead Assisted Living facility in Manhattan passed away. She tested positive for COVID-19 on Aug. 31.

She is the fourth death and one of 22 cases associated with the outbreak at Homestead Assisted Living facility. A reason was not given for the delay in reporting her death.

The Riley County Health Department reported 36 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday as well, bringing the local total to 2,004.

People 18 to 24-years-old make up more than 77 percent of all positive cases recorded locally — more than 1,500 of the unique cases.

In all, 1,903 people who previously tested positive for COVID-19 are recovered, leaving just 91 active cases.

Two patients are currently hospitalized at Ascension Via Christi.

Riley County reported a 7.4 percent positivity rate for the week of Oct. 4, a 1.4 percent decrease from the previous week. In the same week, the campus positivity rate fell below two percent.

Since Aug. 17 — the first day of classes at Kansas State — the county added more than 1,500 cases of COVID-19. Up-to-date information about negative tests and pending tests is unavailable at this time.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the managing editor and audience engagement manager of the Collegian. Previously, I've been the editor-in-chief and the news editor. In the past, I have also contributed to the Royal Purple Yearbook and KKSU-TV. Off-campus, you can find my bylines in the Wichita Eagle, the Shawnee Mission Post and KSNT News. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a senior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third-generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage.