K-State soccer looks to carry momentum of first win into the weekend

0
58
The soccer team beat Oklahoma 3-0 on Saturday. (Sophie Osborn | Collegian Media Group)

The soccer team captured its first win of the season on Friday, beating Oklahoma 3-0 at home. Now, the Wildcats will have two games in four days this weekend, and they want to keep winning.

The team travels to Waco, Texas, to face Baylor on Friday before squaring off with TCU in Manhattan on Sunday. Baylor is 1-2-3 on the year, while TCU goes into the weekend unbeaten, at 4-0-1.

Head Coach Mike Dibbini said getting the win was huge for his squad.

“Getting a result like that gives you a little of confidence, but more ‘believe’ too,” Dibbini said. “We’re getting better. I think it starts with them playing for each other.

Sophomore Shae Turner put the Wildcats on board very early in their first victory, scoring her first career goal. Turner said scoring her first goal and getting the first win as a team felt great.

“It was pretty fun,” Turner said. “The celebration in the locker room was super awesome after the game with the girls. … We’ve been grinding for that win.”

“You could tell by their body language and their energy level that they were determined, this game, to get over that hump.” Dibbini said. “They played with the love of the game and they played for each other.”

Freshman goalkeeper Alaina Werremeyer got her first win and shutout against the Sooners. Werremeyer made four saves in the win on Friday. She credited the team’s defense for limiting her responsibilities in the match.

“My defense did amazing. They took such good care of me, I barely saw the ball. They worked so hard this weekend,” Werremeyer said.

Moving into the weekend, Coach Dibbini said his team is solely focused on their next game against Baylor. He said the team will take more players on the road this week to manage the two-game weekend.

“Honestly it’s great to have this quick turnaround,” Turner said. “We have the momentum let’s just keep it going, we don’t want any time in between. We just want to go and just build off of that.”

The Baylor game kicks off at 7 p.m. on ESPN+ and the home tilt with No. 5 TCU starts at noon.