Across the Atlantic: Anna Turco finds success with Wildcat tennis

0
74
Junior Anna Turco reaches to make a play on the ball as the Wildcats competed against Washington in spring 2020. (Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

It’s common to move to another city or state to attend college. However, junior Anna Turco moved across the Atlantic to a whole new country.

Turco, junior in psychology and criminology, came to Kansas State in 2017 from her home in Mondovi, Italy. She’s a student athlete, playing for the women’s tennis team.

“Back home it is kind of tough, either you focus on sports or you study and get a degree, but I wanted to do both,” Turco said. “It is a great opportunity to try new things and learn a new language.”

The family aspect of K-State is what intrigued Turco the most when she made her decision to become a Wildcat.

Turco said the family-like atmosphere at K-State intrigued her.

“I chose K-State mainly because the coaches are nice and made a good impression and I really like the concept of family,” Turco said.

Turco misses plenty of things being so far from home.

“I miss all of my family and friends for sure, but food would definitely be a top one,” Turco said. “Here you have more of a variety of food, but back home it is mainly Italian food.”

Outside of tennis practice and games, Turco enjoys spending time with her friends at coffee shops and taking walks on the Konza trail.

Turco found success on the court with the Wildcats. She said her favorite memory was being part of the 2018 team that defeated Kentucky in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

“… they were the favorite and we won 4-3,” Turco said. “It was the first time in many years that we went to national’s and won our round.”

Turco played her part in that matchup, defeating Lesedi Jacobs 5-4 in the first set of the No. 5 singles because of Jacobs’ medical retirement.

Turco has a 47-32 career record in singles, and a 39-40 career record in doubles. She held the No. 1 spot in singles for the Wildcats in 2019, earning All-Big 12 Second Team honors in singles.

Turco also has achievements in the academic world dating back to her first year in the program. She was named to the Big 12 Conference Commissioner’s Honor Roll in four of the semesters that she’s been on campus.

Turco isn’t sure what she will do when she graduates, but has weighed her options and realized that she has multiple paths to choose.

One of those paths includes sticking with tennis.

“I would like to try and coach college tennis, maybe try that as an option,” Turco said. “I feel like staying in the U.S. would be a good thing for me to do, but I have different options.”