K-State loses to Baylor in second-half barrage

Sophomore forward Carly McConville attempts to fend off a Baylor defender during K-State's 4-0 loss to the Bears on Thursday night. (Photo courtesy of Krista Pirtle | Baylor University)

K-State faced off against Baylor on Thursday night in the first of two matches in four days for the Wildcats. Baylor shut down the Wildcats offensively and capitalized on multiple opportunities to defeat the Wildcats 4-0.

The Wildcats entered Thursday’s match aiming to continue the momentum gained from the 3-0 win over Oklahoma last Friday but were held scoreless by a Baylor team that is dominant defensively this season at home.

Baylor set the tone throughout the first half, recording 13 shots, with four of those shots being on goal. The Bears held a majority of the possessions in K-State’s defensive third.

The Wildcats held strong defensively in the opening half, but Baylor capitalized in the 27th minute on a corner kick as freshman forward Mackenzie Anthony scored off the corner kick from freshman midfielder Chloe Japic.

K-State kept the game within reach heading into the second half with a diving save by freshman goalkeeper Alaina Werremeyer in the 43rd minute. Werremeyer had three saves in the first half. The Blue Springs native finished with six saves on the night.

The Wildcats opened the second half with a more aggressive tempo and had four shots in the first seven minutes. The first shot on goal for K-State came in the 55th minute by sophomore midfielder Bailey Nemechek. The Wildcats finished the second half with 10 shots.

Baylor pushed the momentum following the early barrage by the Wildcats. The Bears added two goals within seconds of each other in the 64th minute with a goal by junior midfielder Taylor Moon off a loose ball in the box, and then moments later a goal by junior midfielder Giuliana Cunningham off of a Baylor free-kick to put the Bears up 3-0.

Cunningham scored her second goal of the night in the 87th minute to seal the 4-0 win for the Bears.

The Bears outshot the Wildcats 24-11 and 10-2 with shots on goal. Baylor counted nine fouls on the night.

K-State plays TCU at noon on Sunday in a game originally scheduled for September 25th but was postponed because of COVID-19 precautions.