K-State women’s basketball season schedule features seven non-conference games

0
51
Then sophomore guard Christianna Carr charges the basket during K-State women’s basketball's 94-72 win over Oklahoma in Bramlage Coliseum earlier this year. (File photo by Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The women’s basketball team revealed its full 2020-21 season schedule on Monday. The slate includes seven non-conference games — six of which are at home — beginning on Nov. 29. Big 12 Conference play begins on Dec. 18.

This season has the latest season start date since the 1994 season. With Big 12 play starting in mid-December, it is the earliest league start for the Wildcats in program history.

K-State begins the season with five home games, with the first game against Southern. The second game of the year is against Kentucky, who went 22-8 last year, for the SEC/Big12 Challenge. The Wildcats will finish the homestand against UT-Arlington, Idaho State and South Dakota State, respectively.

The team’s lone non-conference away game is against Omaha on Dec. 12. K-State is 6-0 all-time against the Mavericks.

K-State will play two conference games prior to Christmas — at Iowa State on Dec. 18 and in Bramlage Coliseum against Texas on Dec. 21. The team plays 16 more games after the new year.

K-State will play consecutive road games for the first time in 2021 with a Jan. 20 match-up with West Virginia and a Jan. 23 meeting with Kansas in the first leg of The Sunflower Showdown.

To finish off the regular-season schedule, the Wildcats play Texas Tech on Feb. 24. The Big 12 Championships are scheduled for March 11-14.

Because of COVID-19 and possible reschedulings, the Big 12 gave eight teams three dates at the end of their schedules to fill in postponed games.

The Wildcats were selected to finish fourth in the preseason conference coaches poll.