Men’s basketball announces 2020-2021 schedule

0
324
Then-freshman forward Antonio Gordon charges the basket for a dunk during K-State’s 84-68 victory over West Virginia earlier this year. (File photo by Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The K-State Athletics released the 2020-2021 men’s basketball schedule on Monday afternoon, shedding some light on what Kansas State basketball could look like amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Out of the 28 regular-season games scheduled, 17 are set for Bramlage Coliseum, starting with the Little Apple Classic from Nov. 25 to Nov. 27. The Wildcats will take on Drake and former Big 12 Conference-rival Colorado.

Those matchups with Drake and Colorado are the first of five straight non-conference games at home, including tilts with University of Missouri-Kansas City on Nov. 30, UNLV on Dec. 5 and Milwaukee on Dec. 8.

Of the Wildcats’ eight non-conference games, only one is on the road in the Big 12/Big East Battle. The date and opponent for that matchup is uncertain.

K-State opens up Big 12 play on Dec. 15 the earliest conference opener in school history at Iowa State. This is the sixteenth meeting between the Wildcats and the Cyclones in the conference opener.

The Big 12 home opener is against a Baylor team that ranked in the top five last year before the COVID-19 pandemic canceled the remainder of the season. The matchup with the Bears is on Dec. 19.

After the two early conference games, K-State gets into the non-conference schedule, playing two straight games at home against Jacksonville on Dec. 21 and South Dakota on Dec. 29.

The homestand concludes with K-State taking on TCU on Jan. 2 the first game of 2021. K-State then travels to Texas Tech on Jan. 5.

The rest of January is highlighted by six conference matchups, with three at home — Oklahoma State on Jan. 9, Iowa State on Jan. 13 and West Virginia on Jan. 23. Then, the team plays three on the road — Texas on Jan. 16, Oklahoma on Jan. 19 and Baylor on Jan. 27.

The Wildcats take a break from conference play at the end of January with a matchup against former Big 12 foe Texas A&M in the annual SEC/Big12 Challenge on Jan. 20.

K-State gears back up for conference play on Feb. 2, traveling to Lawrence to take on Kansas in the first edition of the Sunflower Showdown in 2021. Two straight home games for the Wildcats follow the in-state clash as K-State takes on Texas Tech on Feb. 6 and Texas on Feb. 9.

In the final five games of the regular season, K-State travels three times, playing at Oklahoma State on Feb. 13, at TCU on Feb. 20 and at West Virginia to wrap up the regular season on Feb. 27.

In between those road games, K-State returns home twice, taking on Kansas on Feb. 16 for the second Sunflower Showdown and Oklahoma on Feb. 23 for Senior Day.

Any COVID-19 make-up games are set for the week of March 1.

The 2020-2021 schedule wraps up with the Big 12 Championship at the T-Mobile Center in Kansas City, Missouri, from March 10-13.

At the moment, the NCAA plans to hold the annual March Madness Tournament in 2021, but hasn’t announced specifics.

Cameron Bradley
Hey! I’m Cameron Bradley and I am the sports editor for the Collegian! I am a junior from Wichita, Kansas, and I am majoring in journalism. When I’m not working for the Collegian, I’m creating content and putting on broadcasts with K-StateHD.TV. I am also currently a member of the Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity. I love sports, spending time with friends, family and doing everything that I do for the glory of God!