K-State upset by one-win Kansas in first match of Sunflower Showdown

0
328
K-State freshman Aliyah Carter goes up for an attempted kill during Thursday night's 3-1 loss to Kansas in Lawrence. (Photo Courtesy of Natalie Hammer | The University Daily Kansan)

The No. 11 ranked Kansas State volleyball team lost 3-1 to in-state rival Kansas on Thursday.

The Wildcats (5-4) started the match off slow against the Jayhawks (2-7), and didn’t find offensive consistency and dropped the first set 25-11. Freshman Aliyah Carter tallied four kills in the set.

K-State seemed to find momentum late in the next set, but fell by two points. That momentum carried over into the third set, which the Wildcats routed 25-11, reversing the first set of the match. Kansas took the final set 25-22.

This is the second consecutive loss against the Jayhawks for the volleyball team. K-State last won in Lawrence in 2018.

Errors and ineffective hitting came back to haunt K-State on Thursday. As a team, the Wildcats committed 44 total errors which featured 17 attacking and 15 service errors. Redshirt sophomore Holly Bonde led the team with five hitting errors. Sophomore Loren Hinkle recorded five service errors while freshman Mackenzie Morris had four receiving errors.

As a team, the Jayhawks outhit K-State .323 to .267.

Carter led the match with 22 kills. Freshman Jayden Nembhard came off the bench to add 12 kills of her own. Morris led the team with 12 digs.

Kansas saw production throughout a balanced attack. Freshman Ayah Elnady led the team with 11 kills while senior Jenny Mosser added 10 kills.

K-State will look to get back on track during the series finale at 6:30 p.m. on Friday. The match is broadcasted on Big 12 Now on ESPN+. Audio will be available through KMAN radio.