Tennis adds eight more wins on second day of Fall Invite

0
48
Running for the ball, freshman Manami Ukita makes an effort to get a point during the K-State Fall Invite on Saturday afternoon. (Macey Franko | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State tennis team had another successful day on the courts on Saturday, adding eight more wins — four singles, four doubles — in the K-State Fall Invite.

Singles play featured three quick wins from junior Rosanna Maffei, junior Ioana Gheorghita and freshman Manami Ukita. The Wildcats’ last singles win came from junior Maria Linares, who had a comeback three-set win.

“We maintained our level of play today,” head coach Jordan Smith told K-State Sports. “Our energy was great in singles to start.”

With the four wins on Saturday, the team is up to nine single’s match wins for the tournament.

As for doubles, the pairings won four more matches — including two from Linares and teammate Karine Marion-Job in the morning session.

Gheorghita and junior teammate Anna Turco also recorded two wins for the Wildcats in doubles play.

“Our team has done a great job of understanding what our brand doubles needs to be,” Smith said. “We’ve been switching up our pairings a lot to figure out where we can find good chemistry.”

The pairing of Linares and Marion-Job is 7-0 throughout the fall season.

“We have to keep our foot on the gas and finish strong. Next weekend is a great way to close out the fall by playing against almost all the teams in the Big 12,” Smith said.