Republican candidate leads in race for District 67 State Representative

0
110
As unofficial results come in, Republican Mike Dodson is ahead in the race for the District 67 Kansas House seat. (Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

Republican Mike Dodson, former Manhattan mayor, wins the Kansas House District 67 seat in the preliminary vote counts.

According to unofficial final results, Dodson led Democrat Cheryl Arthur by 1,053 votes at the end of the night with all precincts reporting in Riley County. If tonight’s results stand, Dodson will replace outgoing Republican Rep. Tom Phillips in representing Ogden and parts of Manhattan.

Dodson’s campaign focused on improving schools and health systems during the COVID-19 pandemic, while Arthur supported Medicaid expansion, sustainability and advanced state educational funding.

Incumbent Democratic Rep. Sydney Carlin ran unopposed for the Kansas House District 66 seat. Carlin has held that seat since 2002, passing more than a dozen bills in office. The unofficial preliminary results included 6,941 votes for Carlin and 412 write-ins.

Hey! I’m Maddie Daniel and I am a junior in mass communications. This semester, I'm the assistant culture editor and have previously served as a staff writer. After I graduate, I plan to go to law school to pursue a career in Federal Indian Law. I love art, history and anything outdoors.