Over the last four years, senior Reid Isaac made her impact on the women’s golf team

0
134
Senior Reid Isaac winds up to make contact with the golf ball during a practice in September. (Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

Growing up in the small town of Montgomery, Texas, Reid Isaac was surrounded by golfers. While her father played casually, her grandfather encouraged both her and her older sister to pursue golf.

As the president of their junior golf association, Isaac’s grandfather oversaw the young sisters’ careers as they flourished into the golfers they are today.

When it came time to choose a college, Isaac only had one thing on her mind — getting out of Texas.

“Being from Texas almost everyone who lives in Texas stays in Texas for college,” Isaac said. “I really wanted to get out of that state and just have a new experience in a different place for four years.”

From the moment she stepped on campus, Isaac knew she wanted to come to Kansas State. Not only did she love the family atmosphere, but the coaches also played a major part in her decision.

“The coaches were really welcoming and you could just tell that they would treat me like their own kids and family once I got here, and that was something that really attracted me to K-State,” Isaac said.

While Isaac had a very successful four-year career at K-State, her favorite moment came during her freshman year where she won the Trinity Forest Invitational in Dallas, Texas, leading the Wildcats to a team victory. Isaac said she didn’t expect to win, but really helped start her career at K-State on the right foot.

Since that win in 2017, Isaac has been one of the most consistent golfers on the team and prides herself on her mindset whenever she steps foot onto the course. She learned she can only control what she can and to let the rest take care of itself.

K-State women’s golf head coach Kristi Knight witnessed the transformation Isaac made over the years.

“Reid came in and she played solid golf as a freshman,” Knight said. “She won a tournament in her first semester, which isn’t easy to do. She came in as a talented golfer, but she has improved. She’s improved in the way she works her way around the golf course and she’s learned to accept the shots that don’t work out.”

A driving force for K-State for the last four years, Isaac has seen a large amount of success with a top-five finish every year of her career. Heading into her senior year, Isaac averaged just under 75 strokes per course and had a career-low of 66 her sophomore year.

Isaac recently broke that career-low this year, shooting a 65 in the second round at the Schooner Classic in September, the second-lowest 18 hole total in K-State history. In that same tournament, Isaac had the second-best 54-hole total in program history, shooting a 205 (-5), earning a share of the Schooner Classic individual title.

On top of that, she became the first Wildcat in seven years to qualify for the U.S. Amateur and the first to play in the tournament since 2002.

Isaac looks forward to her future but believes playing golf at K-State has taught her more than just how to play the game she loves.

“Being a student athlete here, there’s a lot on your plate between workouts and practice as well as studying and trying to maintain a great GPA to get a job someday,” Isaac said. “That’s something that has always been important to me, my school as well as golf, so trying to succeed in both of those things as well as having a social life was something that took me quite a while to learn.”

Isaac will complete her marketing major later this year and already accepted a sales management position at FritoLay in Dallas. The three-hour drive from Montgomery to Dallas will mean she gets to see her family more than she currently does.

While she doesn’t plan on pursuing golf professionally, Isaac still intends on playing occasionally.

“I think I’ll definitely play when the weather’s nice or when I get an invitation to play somewhere cool, I know it’s something that I’ll definitely keep up as a hobby on the weekends,” Isaac said.

No matter what Isaac does in life, she plans on attacking it with the same methodical mindset that she’s had throughout her college career. Whether it be in the classroom, the workplace or the golf course, she’ll always be searching for that hole-in-one.