Women’s golf adds three, men’s golf adds one on fall signing day

0
49

On fall signing day, the women’s golf team added three new members while the men’s team nabbed one for the 2021-22 season.

The women’s golf team picked up Remington Isaac from Montgomery, Texas, Lilly Whitley from Edmond, Oklahoma, and Manon Donche-Gay, a French-born community college transfer from Daytona State in Florida.

Remington Isaac is the younger sister of senior Reid Isaac. Last year, Remington Isaac qualified for the 2019 USGA Women’s Amateur among other achievements.

In Whitley’s two seasons—her junior year was wiped out due to COVID-19— she won 10 high school tournaments. She also won three Oklahoma Junior Golf Tour events and was a qualifier for the Junior PGA Championship.

Donche-Gay was part of a powerhouse program at Viera High School in Florida. She was a part of a run of 10 straight district championships for the Hawks.

While Donche-Gay attended Daytona College, she was named the Most Improved Player. In May 2019, Donche-Gay was a part of Team Valescure that won Trophee Division I at Golf De Fontainebleau and was named French Team National Champions.

The three newcomers replace three golfers who are scheduled to depart from the eight-woman squad — Reid Isaac, Niamh McSherry and Brooke Nolte.

The men stayed close to home when recruiting Nicklaus Mason from Mill Valley High School in Shawnee, Kansas. In 2019, he finished second in the KSHSAA State Championship and won back-to-back Konza Prairie Amateur Championships.

The men’s team — which now has four Kansas natives on the roster — made a commitment to keep homegrown talent in the state.

“We always have had an inside out recruiting approach,” men’s golf head coach Grant Robbins said to K-State Athletics. “To get the most talented players to stay home, it’s difficult with all the competition out there. We prioritized the top player in the state, but what you’ve seen over the past couple years are the improvement of our facilities and the commitment that Gene Taylor and the administration is making to our program. I can’t stress enough how important it is to show in-state players that we are committed to competing at the highest level.”

Both the men’s and women’s teams recently finished their fall seasons and look toward the spring. The men’s team starts their spring season off at the Hammock Creek Collegiate in Palm City, Florida, on Feb. 21, while the women’s team starts their spring season off at the Trinity Forest Invitational in Dallas, Texas, on Feb. 1.

Hi! I'm Nathan Enserro, a graduate student from Olathe, Kansas, working on a Masters in Mass Communication. I graduated in spring 2020 with a Bachelor's of Science in strategic communications from K-State. This is my fourth year covering K-State sports for the Collegian.