Men’s and women’s basketball tip off seasons, football gets primetime matchup

0
208
K-State men's and women's basketball as well as football are all in action this week. (Infographic by Kaylie McLaughlin | Collegian Media Group)

It’s a big week for K-State Athletics as the men’s and women’s basketball teams start their seasons, while football travels to Waco, Texas, to take on Baylor.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Then junior guard Mike McGuirl charges the basket during K-State’s 70-59 loss to Texas earlier this year. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)
Then junior guard Mike McGuirl charges the basket during K-State’s 70-59 loss to Texas in the spring. (File Photo by Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The men’s basketball team tips off their season this week in the Little Apple Classic, playing in two games over the course of three days. The Wildcats will open the Classic against Drake at 1 p.m. on Wednesday

Drake comes off of a 20-14 campaign from last year that saw the Bulldogs make an unprecedented run to the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament semifinals.

After that matchup, the Wildcats will take on former Big 12 Conference foe Colorado at 7:30 p.m. on Friday to cap off the Little Apple Classic. The Buffaloes come off of a 21-11 season. Colorado had a good shot at making the NCAA tournament before the pandemic cut the 2019-2020 season short.

Kansas State will look to improve this year after a disastrous 2019-2020 campaign that saw the Wildcats finish last in the Big 12 with an 11-21 record, just a year after earning a share of the Big 12 regular-season title.

Both games are available on ESPNU with live audio from the K-State Sports Network.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Then freshman center Ayoka Lee leaps up for a shot during K-State's 83-63 victory over Kansas earlier this year. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)
Then-freshman center Ayoka Lee leaps up for a shot during th 83-63 victory over Kansas in the spring. (File Photo by Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The women’s basketball team also starts off their season this week with two games. The first will be an exhibition matchup with NCAA Division II opponent Newman at 6 p.m. on Friday in Wichita.

The matchup with the Jets wasn’t originally on the Wildcats 2020-21 schedule, but due to COVID-19 issues, the Wildcat’s original exhibition matchup with Fort Hays State on Wednesday was canceled, and Newman took their place. The game against Newman is on the MIAA Network.

The Wildcats will then truly start their season off with a showdown against Southern at 1 p.m. next Sunday. The Jaguars come off of a 16-14 campaign from last year and had a shot to play in the SWAC tournament semifinals, but the tournament was canceled due to COVID-19.

K-State comes off of a 16-13 season and returns freshman phenom Ayoka Lee, who was named to the preseason Naismith Trophy and Wade Trophy watch lists. The Wildcats matchup with Southern is on Big 12 Now on ESPN+, with live audio coming from the K-State Sports Network.

FOOTBALL

K-State lines up against Baylor in last year's 31-12 loss to the Bears at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (Collegian Media Group I Dalton Wainscott)
K-State lines up against Baylor in last year's 31-12 loss to the Bears at Bill Snyder Family Stadium. (File Photo by Dalton Wainscott | Collegian Media Group)

Coming off of a humiliating 45-0 loss to Iowa State over the weekend, the Wildcats will look to rebound against Baylor in Waco, Texas, at 6 p.m. on Saturday. The Bears come off of a bye week after a heartbreaking 24-23 defeat at the hands of Texas Tech by means of a game-winning field goal as time expired.

K-State currently sits at sixth place in Big 12 standings with a 4-4 record overall and 4-3 record in the conference. Head coach Dave Aranda, in his first season, has had a less than ideal season with Baylor — the Bears sit just above Kansas at ninth place in the conference standings with a record of 1-5 overall.

These two teams met last year on Oct. 5, in Manhattan and the result was anything but pretty for the Wildcats as Baylor dominated K-State 31-12.

The matchup between the Wildcats and the Bears is on ESPN2 with live audio coming from the K-State Sports Network.

Cameron Bradley
Hey! I’m Cameron Bradley and I am the sports editor for the Collegian! I am a junior from Wichita, Kansas, and I am majoring in journalism. When I’m not working for the Collegian, I’m creating content and putting on broadcasts with K-StateHD.TV. I am also currently a member of the Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity. I love sports, spending time with friends, family and doing everything that I do for the glory of God!