Football closes out regular season while basketball, track and field just getting started

0
109
Multiple teams are in action this week in K-State Sports. (Infographic by Kaylie McLaughlin | Collegian Media Group)

Men’s Basketball

After their worst start to a season since 2002, Kansas State (0-2) looks to get back on track this week with two more home non-conference matchups. The two opponents K-State face-off with are no slouches.

K-State starts the week with a Monday night showdown against Kansas City at 7 p.m. in Bramlage Coliseum. Coming off of their first loss of the year, the Roos are currently sitting with a 2-1 record to start off their 2020-21 campaign.

K-State is 18-1 all-time against the Roos and won the last meeting back in 2017 at Bramlage Coliseum, 72-51. The game is the third straight nationally broadcasted game for the Wildcats, this one airing on ESPNU.

The Wildcats get a four-day break before playing at Bramlage Coliseum again, this time on Saturday night against UNLV with a 7 p.m. tipoff time. The Runnin’ Rebels sit with an 0-1 record after a 91-78 loss to start off their season.

UNLV competes in the Maui Invitational this week and will play in three games from Monday through Wednesday before their matchup with K-State on Saturday. The Runnin’ Rebels start off with North Carolina on Monday afternoon and, depending on the results, take on either Alabama or Stanford on Tuesday.

K-State is 3-4 against UNLV all-time, with one of those wins coming last year in thrilling fashion as the Wildcats defeated the Runnin’ Rebels in Las Vegas 60-56 in OT. Saturday night’s game can be seen on Big 12 Now on ESPN+, both games this week can be heard on the K-State Sports Network.

Women’s Basketball

Just like the men’s team, the women’s basketball team competes in two non-conference home games this week. They start off with one of their biggest non-conference matchups of the year against No. 11 Kentucky on Thursday night, and then finish out with a Sunday afternoon game against UT Arlington.

K-State sits at 1-0 to start off their season after a 66-51 victory over Southern on Sunday afternoon.

The Thursday night showdown with No. 11 Kentucky is set for a 6:30 p.m. tip-off on Big 12 Now on ESPN+. Kentucky is also perfect on the season, sitting at 2-0 after victories against Murray State and Belmont to open up their 2020-21 campaign.

Sunday’s matchup with UT Arlington is currently set for a 12 p.m. tip-off on Big 12 Now on ESPN+, but it is hard to say if the game will even happen. After opening up the season with a 74-45 victory over Texas A&M Commerce, the Mavericks paused all team activities because a member of the program tested positive for COVID-19.

The Mavericks canceled two games already because of the positive test. Their next scheduled matchup is with K-State this coming Sunday. So far that game is still a go, but the team will not be participating in any activities until it is deemed safe by medical professionals.

Track and Field

The track and field team is set to compete in two events this week — competing in the Carl Robinson Winter Pentathlon on Friday and then the K-State Winter Invitational on Saturday.

It is not yet announced what other teams will be competing in these two competitions, but each competition s inside Ahearn Fieldhouse.

Football

K-State hosts No. 17 Texas for senior day on Saturday morning at Bill Snyder Family Stadium with kickoff set for 11 a.m. The Wildcats are currently riding a four-game losing streak after falling to Baylor on Saturday 32-31, putting their record at 4-5 on the year.

Texas comes into Saturday’s matchup needing a win and some help in order to have a shot at making the Big 12 Championship game on Dec. 19. The Longhorns are 5-3 on the season, with each of the three losses being by just one possession.

The most recent loss for the Longhorns came to the No. 13 Iowa State Cyclones who essentially punched their ticket to the Big 12 Championship after Texas kicker Cameron Dicker barely missed a 58-yard field goal as time expired to give ISU a 23-20 victory. K-State’s most recent loss also came down to the foot of a kicker as Baylor hit a 30-yard field goal as time expired to win the game 32-31.

Saturday’s matchup will be nationally broadcasted by Fox and can be heard on the K-State Sports Network.

Hey! I’m Cameron Bradley and I am the sports editor for the Collegian! I am a junior from Wichita, Kansas, and I am majoring in journalism. When I’m not working for the Collegian, I’m creating content and putting on broadcasts with K-StateHD.TV. I am also currently a member of the Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity. I love sports, spending time with friends, family and doing everything that I do for the glory of God!