Senior Tejaswin Shankar breaks school record as track and field kicks off indoor season

0
283
Then-sophomore Tejaswin Shankar clears the high jump during the Carol Robinson Pentathlon in 2018. (Archive photo by Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

Friday’s Carol Robinson Winter Pentathlon not only marked the start of the indoor track and field season for Kansas State, but it also gave senior Tejaswin Shankar a shot at breaking his record of 4,137 points set at last year’s meet — and he did just that.

Shankar earned 4,343 points after placing first in four out of the five events on the day. Shankar’s mark is also the event’s fourth-best performance all-time in NCAA history.

“Overall, because I wanted to aim for the best mark possible, I was really happy with the score I was able to execute in all the events,” Shankar said to K-State Sports. “Especially after nine months without competing, that was the most important moment for me today. I think this was a good stride today and I just have to keep working.”

Ahearn Fieldhouse was filled with only Wildcats on Friday, as it was teammate facing off against teammate on the men’s side, while some even ran unattached from the team. There were a few other competitors outside of K-State on the women’s side, with plenty running unattached from their teams, and one competing for Houston Baptist.

The pentathlon consists of five events, the 60-meter hurdles, long jump, high jump, shot put, 1000-meter race for the men and 800-meter race for the women.

Shankar started out actually losing the 60-meter hurdles to fellow teammate sophomore Donovan Turner who set a personal record by finishing with a time of 8.04 seconds. Shankar finished in second place with a time of 8.34.

The senior then went on to take first in the rest of the events. Winning the long jump (7.48m), shot put (11.94m), high jump (2.24m) and finally the 1000-meter race (2:39.35). Senior Kyle Parr, who was running unattached, finished in second place behind Shankar with a total of 2,844 points.

Senior Lauren Taubert took the crown on the women’s side, tallying 4,168 points while running unattached from K-State. She finished first in all five of the events.

Taubert took the 60-meter hurdles (8.53 seconds), high jump (1.73m), shot put (11.72m), long jump (5.86m) and the 800-meter race (2:20.45).

Also running unattached from K-State was senior Ariel Okorie, who finished in second place with a total of 2,823 points on the day. Sophomore Urte Bacianskaite finished in fifth place with a total of 2,823 points.

The Wildcats will be back in action on Saturday morning for the K-State Winter Invitational in Ahearn Fieldhouse, competing against Iowa State and Oklahoma. The meet is set to start at 9:30 a.m.

Hey! I’m Cameron Bradley and I am the sports editor for the Collegian! I am a junior from Wichita, Kansas, and I am majoring in journalism. When I’m not working for the Collegian, I’m creating content and putting on broadcasts with K-StateHD.TV. I am also currently a member of the Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity. I love sports, spending time with friends, family and doing everything that I do for the glory of God!