Gale breaks meet record, 10 athletes record victories at K-State Winter Invitational

0
199
Pole Vaulter Chandler Heid vaults at the Track and Field Steve Miller Open in Ahearn Field House during the spring 2020 season. (File Photo by Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

It was a successful weekend for the Wildcats in the K-State Winter Invitational on Saturday afternoon, competing against Oklahoma and Iowa State. Through the competition, 10 Wildcats came away with first-place finishes in their respective events.

Not only did multiple Wildcats take gold in their events, but one broke a meet-record in the 600-yard race. That record-breaker was freshman Kyle Gale, running a time of 1:11.05 in the race. Gale just barely beat the previous mark held by Matt Baysinger of Kansas that was set 14 years ago with a time of 1:11.32.

“When I woke up this morning, my body and my mind felt right and I was in the zone, so it was just on me to execute my race and I believe I did,” Gale said to K-State Sports.

The men’s and women’s teams split the victories on Saturday, with five wins going to the men and five going to the women.

On the men’s side along with Gale, freshman Brian Simon took first in the pole vault (4.45 meters), senior Colin Echols took the weight throw (20.37 meters), senior Taylor Smith won the high jump (2.05 meters) and sophomore Donovan Turner took first in the 60-meter hurdles (8.05 seconds).

On the women’s side freshman Reagan Hukill took the pole vault (3.55 meters), sophomore Maddie Righter won the high jump (1.70 meters), junior Alex Ferguson took first in the 600-yard race (1:23.55), junior Anigbata Grace Chinonyelum found victory in the triple jump (13.07 meters) and sophomore Kassidy Johnson won the 1000-race (2:51.41).

The Kansas State A-team also won the 4×400 relay for the women with a time of 3:49.32.

The indoor season for track and field continues in January as K-State competes in the Wildcat Invitational at Ahearn Field House on Jan. 9.