‘We need to make better decisions’: Carr shines in women’s basketball blowout loss to Idaho State

0
194
Sophomore guard Christinna Carr steps back for a three during K-State’s women’s basketball game against Oklahoma in Bramlage Coliseum on Jan. 25, 2020. The Wildcats beat the Sooners 94-72. (File photo by Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The women’s basketball team’s comeback bid fell short in the fourth quarter of their 65-50 loss to Idaho State.

The trouble for the Wildcats started midway through the second quarter when they stopped making shots.

“My concern level’s high because right now, our guards can’t help each other score,” head coach Jeff Mittie said. “It’s bad. Our guards are not helping each other score. They’re not making the right reads, they’re late on passes. They’re just not playing well together.”

Luckily for Kansas State, the Bengals didn’t take advantage of the Wildcat drought. No one scored in the last five minutes of the half and K-State took a two-point lead into the locker room.

While the Wildcats continued their slump, the Bengals came out of the locker room on fire and quickly pushed their lead to 14 before K-State managed a bucket. An old-fashioned three-point play from junior guard Chrissy Carr ended the 11-minute scoring drought.

Idaho State led by 19 going into the final quarter. They outscored K-State 29-8 in the quarter.

“We were not able to guard them at all in that stretch after having guarded them pretty well in the first half,” Mittie said. “We looked like we did not come out of halftime with a whole lot of fight, which is really disappointing.”

Late in the third quarter, the Wildcats turned the ball over on 32.6 percent of possessions while only scoring on 22 percent. K-State wound up committing 17 turnovers in the game compared to Idaho State’s 14 and used a late surge to tie up the rebounding column at 40.

“They were disruptive and got a couple deflections, but that’s on us,” senior guard Sydney Goodson said. “We need to make pass fakes, we need to make better decisions.”

The fourth quarter started with a bang for K-State. Carr found a pair of quick threes to start the half, then a driving layup to end a nearly three-minute scoring drought by both teams.

On the ensuing inbound, Goodson stole the inbound pass and got a lay-up. The Wildcat run cut the deficit to nine.

“As soon as I see a play like Sydney reach out and get a steal, I’m like, ‘Okay, I see her do it now I gotta do that too,’” Carr said. “We can’t have three players come to play and two don’t. We can’t have four players come to play and one don’t. We all gotta get on the same page.”

Carr finished the game with a career-high 24 points to lead all scorers. Junior guard Rachel Ranke was the next best Wildcat with seven. As a team, K-State had eight assists.

A minute later, a three-point play from freshman Taylor Lauterbach cut the lead to seven with just over five minutes to go, but an immediate answer from Idaho State and a run of their own put the game out of reach.

The Wildcats play again at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday against South Dakota State at Bramlage Coliseum.

Hi! I'm Nathan Enserro, an alumnus from Olathe, Kansas. I graduated in spring 2022 with a Masters in Mass Communication, and I graduated in spring 2020 with a Bachelor's of Science in strategic communications from K-State. I covered K-State sports for the Collegian for four years.