‘We just got outplayed’: Baylor takes down K-State 100-69

0
179
Baylor competes against K-State at Bramlage Coliseum in Manhattan, Kansas on Dec. 19, 2020. (Photo courtesy of Scott Weaver.)

The Kansas State men’s basketball team got pounded 100-69 by No. 2 Baylor on Saturday in Manhattan. The Wildcats fell to 3-5 and 1-1 in Big 12 Conference play.

The Wildcats were never really in the game. They started the game off with a steal, but an immediate turnover and run-out bucket for Baylor ensured that K-State wouldn’t lead or tie for the whole game.

“There’s not much you can say, they just kicked our butt. They’re a very, very good team,” head coach Bruce Weber said.

Baylor’s lead would be double-digits by the 15-minute mark in the first half. K-State cut it back to nine shortly thereafter, but the Bears were off to the races.

“They beat you in all aspects,” Weber said. “The only thing we beat them on was when we got the ball out of bounds underneath.”

They stretched the lead to 29 at half by shooting nearly 62 percent from the floor and dominating the Wildcats on the boards. Baylor had more offensive rebounds in the first half than K-State had total rebounds.

The Bears just had an extra step on K-State on the offensive end of the court, leading to a lot of open shots and easy looks inside.

“I knew they were good, but I didn’t know they were that good,” Weber said. “Their passing, their physicality, they disrupt you. Scott [Drew]’s done a nice job.”

K-State improved in the second half in the key areas of offense, defense and rebounding, but it wasn’t enough to challenge the Bears who had an answer for K-State at every corner. The smallest the Baylor lead ever got was 23.

Sophomore forward Antonio Gordon came off the bench to lead K-State with a career-high 23 points and added six rebounds. He was a perfect 9-9 from the floor and scored 17 in the second half.

“It does give me a little confidence boost, but I’d rather just win the game,” Gordon said. “I’d be okay with scoring zero as long as we win.”

Baylor’s 100-point performance was the most a Bruce Weber-led K-State team had ever given up. The previous record was 92 by Arizona State in 2017.

The last time K-State gave up 100 was a 103-77 neutral-site loss to Xavier in 2007. The last time it happened at home was 1992, when Oklahoma put up 117 on the Wildcats in Bramlage Coliseum.

“You can’t just score 100 points and not be hot,” senior guard Mike McGuirl said. “That has mostly to do with us. We weren’t good enough on defense. We didn’t fight them enough. … We just got outplayed.”

The Wildcats have a quick turnaround with Jacksonville coming into Manhattan Monday afternoon at 1 p.m. on ESPN+.

Hi! I'm Nathan Enserro, a graduate student from Olathe, Kansas, working on a Masters in Mass Communication. I graduated in spring 2020 with a Bachelor's of Science in strategic communications from K-State. This is my fourth year covering K-State sports for the Collegian.