University announces online start to spring semester

0
1168
Anderson Hall, pictured here in November of 2019, is the administration building of Kansas State. It is home to the Office of the President, the Office of Student Life and other administrative offices. The building is one of the oldest on campus as one of the three original buildings. (Archive Photo by Kaylie McLaughlin | Collegian Media Group)

The first two weeks of the spring semester will begin online. This means in-person and hybrid instruction won’t officially start until Feb. 8.

The decision was made to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, a K-State Today Special Issue says.

In the release, President Richard Myers said the action will help keep safety protocols in place.

“Last August we saw a surge in the fall when students returned and we were able to manage it well,” Myers said in the release. “As anticipated, cases spiked again as we neared the holidays and people moved indoors. We appreciate the tremendous efforts by our faculty, staff and students to help keep our communities safer.”

Kansas State operations, including dorm move-in and research, will not be affected by the decision. Libraries, recreational services and other operations will continue with the same safety protocols as the fall semester.

Housing charges and the privilege fee will not be affected. Additionally, asymptomatic and symptomatic testing was expanded, but the university is not aware of any allocations for vaccines for students.

“We look forward to a much brighter future moving toward spring and summer as vaccines become more widespread,” Myers said in the release. “We want to start safe and remain safe through this semester so we can come back in full strength in the fall.”

Hi there! I'm Julie Freijat. I'm the copy chief and deputy managing editor of the Collegian. In the past, I've served as an editor on the news and culture desks and worked closely with the multimedia staff. I love science and technology, hate poor movie dialogue and my favorite subreddit is r/truecrime.