Track and field teams win second straight KU-KSU-WSU Triangular

0
250
Senior Jullane Walker comes crashing into the sand during the Steve Miller Open on Feb. 16, 2019. (Archive Photo by Rowan Jones | Collegian Media Group)

The track and field teams dominated the KU-KSU-WSU Triangular with 17 total victories in Ahearn Field House Saturday. The Wildcats combined for 261 points to retain the title, led by senior Tejaswin Shankar.

The New Delhi-native earned 25 points to take the High Point Scorer award. Shankar competed in five events — taking first in the long jump, high jump and triple jump.

“The triangular is the one meet where you do it for the team in a dual-score meet,” Shankar said to K-State Athletics. “Overall, I think it was a really good performance. I think I did what I needed to do this week. The triple jump was the one big takeaway for me. I just wanted to do it for the team and for coach [Cliff Rovelto].”

Shankar’s standout performance helped Kansas State gain some early momentum both on the track and in the field events.

“He is in an extremely heavy training load right now,” head coach Cliff Rovelto said to K-State Athletics. “He handled it very well today. Given what he did in all of the events, his performance was pretty special.”

The Wildcats added to the lead with a dominant outing in the jumping events, sophomore Maddie Righter taking the top spot in the women’s high jump. Junior Chantoba Bright also added to the point total with a first-place triple jump. Freshman Rhianna Phipps completed the women’s sweep with a long jump victory.

K-State earned several crucial points in the throwing events, led by a first-place weight throw finish from senior Shaelyn Ward. Combined, the Wildcats had nine Top 10 finishes across all throwing events.

The Wildcats also saw success on the track with 10 individual first-place wins to seal the meet for the second consecutive year.

Junior Vitoria Sena Batista Alves and sophomore Donovan Turner took the top spots in the 60m hurdles. Freshman Shalysa Wray led a K-State podium sweep in the women’s 60-meter race. Senior Taishia Pryce also led a podium sweep of the 200-meter race.

Freshman Kyle Gale highlighted the track events, recording his third straight meet record with a 47.42 first-place finish in the 400-meter race. Sophomore O’Shalia Johnson took the women’s 400 with a 56.21 finish.

Junior Kassidy Johnson took the top spots in the mile run and women’s 800-meter race. Sophomore Sydney Burton added to the distance total with a 2:55.65 first-place finish. The Wildcats also capped off the triangular with a 3:31.23, first-place finish in the mixed 4×400 race.

“The nature of international scoring, with everybody scoring, it makes it quite hard to gap people,” Rovelto said. “When you have a margin like we did here today, it is indicative of our performance. A lot of really fine marks.”

K-State will travel to Lawrence, next week for the Jayhawk Classic, which is a two-day event. The meet begins on Friday, Jan. 22, and is the first time since 2018-2019 the Wildcats will compete inside at Kansas.