Women’s golf steadily improves to finish fourth at Trinity Forest

0
74
Junior Briony Bayles sets up her shot at the Marilynn Smith/Sunflower Invitational at Colbert Hills Golf Course on Sept. 18, 2019. (File photo by Luis Villarreal-Reyes | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State women’s golf team traveled to Dallas, Texas, to compete in the Trinity Forest Invitational on Monday and Tuesday, which featured five Big 12 Conference teams in action.

K-State struggled on the first round of play, finishing 22-over par with a score of 310, leaving them tied for tenth with Nebraska and UTSA. The second round was grounds for improvement however, as the Wildcats improved by six strokes and moved up to eighth by the end of the first day of play.

The second round of play was highlighted by a hole-in-one from junior Briony Bayles who would go on to finish tied for 23rd at 11-over par with a score of 227 (77-73-77).

K-State made a huge leap on the final day of play, improving by 15 strokes to finish the final day 1-over par at 289. That helped boost K-State up to a fourth place finish at 39-over par with a score of 903.

The last day was headlined by freshman Napua Glossner who shot a 5-under par 67 and moved up 35 places on the individual leaderboard to finished tied for 30th at 13-over par with a score of 229 (79-83-67).

“She stayed in the fairway, hit greens, and holed putts,” head coach Kristi Knight told K-State Sports about Glossner’s impressive round. “She was sharp all around today and led the team.”

Senior Niamh McSherry led the Wildcats throughout the tournament, finishing 8-over par with a score of 224 (76-75-73) and tying for 15th overall. A previous Trinity Forest Invitational winner and fellow senior Reid Isaac finished 19-over par with a score of 235 (80-78-77) and tying for 49th place.

Sophomore Haley Vargas tied for 28th at 12-over par with a score of 228 (78-78-72), capping off her weekend with an even-par round in the final round of play.

“Hopefully the ladies will take away what they are capable of doing,” Knight said. “We had a great finish and I am proud of them.”

The top five was filled with Big 12 teams as Baylor, Oklahoma State and Texas took the top three spots while Texas Tech finished fifth behind K-State. Baylor won the invitational with a score of 1-over par at 865.

This was the first of five regular-season spring events for the Wildcats. They look to improve on their play when they travel to Tallahassee, Florida, on February 26-28 to play at the Seminole Legacy Club in the FSU Match-Up.