Wildcats look to break losing streak against No.13 Texas Tech

0
92
Kansas State freshman guard Nijel Pack drove through Kansas in the first half of the Sunflower Showdown at Allen Fieldhouse. The Wildcats lost 51-74. (Courtesy Photo)

Kansas State hosts No. 13 Texas Tech Red Raiders on Saturday. The Wildcats are currently winless in 2021 and have a nine-game losing streak.

Head coach Bruce Weber said he is disappointed for his players.

“It’s a learning lesson,” Weber said. “We have to be a little tougher, we have to execute a little better and we have to have a little mental toughness.”

The Wildcats sit at ninth in the Big 12 Conference rankings with a 1-9 conference record and are 5-14 overall.

Freshman Nijel Pack currently leads the team in points per game (11.7), assists per game (3.7), and steals per game (1.3).

Senior Mike McGuirl follows Pack statistically scoring the second-most points per game (11.4), second-most in assists per game behind Pack (3.5) and third in steals per game (0.9).

McGuirl reflected on his position of being the lone senior this season with gratitude toward his team and coaches after the loss to Kansas.

“I’ve said it time and time again — I’m blessed and I’m very grateful to be in my position,” McGuirl said. “I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else and I’m thankful for my coaches and I’m thankful for my teammates … yeah we’re down right now, but we aren’t the type to put our heads down and quit.”

The Red Raiders currently sit sixth in the Big 12 with a conference record of 5-4 and a 13-5 overall record.

Junior Max McClung leads the Red Raiders in points per game (16.8), is second on the team in assists per game (2.3) and sits fourth in steals per game (0.9).

Wildcats sophomore forward Montavious Murphy will sit out against Texas Tech with a knee injury and will most likely miss the rest of the season. Sophomore guard Dajuan Gordon is listed as questionable with an ankle injury suffered against Texas A&M but will most likely not play against Texas Tech.

The Red Raider’s junior guard Avery Benson is listed as questionable after not playing the last two games with a leg injury. It is still unclear if he will play on Saturday.

Tip-off is set for 3 p.m. Saturday. Game coverage is on ESPN+ and the Big 12 Network.