The Top Tips for Biking Safety for College Students

0
24
Attractive Friendly Young Woman With Her Bicycle. Portrait of young woman on the street with bicycle. ecological bicycle transport. Student girl came to study at the university on a rental bike.

Having a car on campus can be a significant hassle. You might have to purchase a parking permit for the entire year; then, you don’t even get to park your car that close to your college dormitory. Furthermore, when you are trying to get to class, there is no way you will be able to drive your car through campus in an efficient manner. For this reason, you could use a bike on campus. At the same time, the campus can get crowded. There are a lot of young drivers and, unsurprisingly, nearly all fatal bike accidents (92%) are from cars. Take a look at a few of the top safety tips. 

1. Put Down the Phone

Even though this might sound obvious, it still merits pointing out that you must put down the phone while biking. You probably learned how to ride a bike as a kid, and you never truly forget how to ride a bike. On the other hand, just because you can drive a bicycle with one hand doesn’t mean you should. If you take your eyes off of what is happening in front of you, you could miss that pedestrian that jumps out in front of you or you could miss the bike that zooms past you in the intersection. If you want to avoid a severe accident that leads to significant injuries, put down the phone when you bike.  

1. Do Not Forget to Wear a Helmet

Of course, you want to look presentable for other college students on campus; therefore, you may not like helmet hair. On the other hand, you always have to put safety first. Even if you haven’t fallen off a bike in years, it only takes one fall to lead to a severe injury. Find a helmet that fits and wear it every time. Take the extra five seconds to put the helmet on before you get on the bike. Your brain is your most valuable resource. Please protect it from injury by wearing a helmet.  

1. Protect the Bike as Well

Theft happens on college campuses from time to time. Your bike is a valuable resource. They can cut the amount of time it takes for you to get to your classes in the morning in half. Bicycles are also expensive; therefore, a lot of college students are going to want what you have.  

Protect your bike with a bike lock. You have probably and seen someone walking back from campus with nothing but a bike frame. When you lock up your bike, make sure that you protect not only the frame but the back wheel as well. Loop the lock through both pieces. That way, nobody can unscrew the wheel from your bike in the middle of the night. You don’t want to have to replace your bicycle in the middle of the year. This can be an expensive bill.  

Prioritize Bike Safety as you Bike Through Campus 

These are a few of the essential tips that you should keep in mind if you plan biking from class to class. You need to make sure that you pay attention to what is going on around you, so put down the phone and never text while biking. Also, protect your head by wearing a helmet. Finally, in addition to protecting yourself, you have to protect your bike as well. If you follow these vital biking safety tips, you will set yourself up for success during the school year.