Student senate amends legislation, discusses decrease to Fine Arts privilege fee allocation

0
92

In the first hybridized meeting of the semester, the student senate passed legislation removing the Athletic Ticket Sales Committee from the Kansas State Student Governing Association statutes.

“This purely administrative bill simply removes the older chapter and will just leave the one we actually already follow,” Billy Croslow, Senate Operations Committee member and graduate student in history, said. “That’s the actual process for SGA dealing with K-State Athletics.”

Croslow said the senate wants to clean up the legislation that needed rewriting when the current chapter was enacted.

During an open period of the meeting, Madison Brown, privilege fee committee chair and senior in finance, spoke about trends in the privilege fee that happened even before the pandemic.

“Basically, the trends we have are expenses are going up and our revenue is going down,” Brown said.

Brown said the fee increased in past years because of increased spending.

“We can either increase the number of students at K-State … increase the fee, which means each student will pay a little bit more, or we can decrease our budget,” Brown said. “Ideally, there’s going to be a combination of all three of these options.”

The senate also considered a resolution to decrease the Fine Arts privilege fee allocation for next year.

Brown shared an Excell Sheet during the meeting, discussing the breakdown of privilege fee funding for different entities. Many departments, like McCain Auditorium, theater, dance and English, could have major cuts carried out over the next three years.

Some groups, however, will continue to receive the same amount, like International Student and Scholar Services, which will receive $1,900 for the next three fiscal years;

Speaker of student senate and senior in political science and communication studies Nathan Bothwell said when the committee members originally reviewed insufficient funds, they took into account how operations would be affected by COVID-19.

“One of the groups that would be impacted the most by it would be Fine Arts groups which typically have in-person events that have large physical crowds at them,” Bothwell said. “So that’s why Fine Arts, in particular, took a huge cut, probably one of the largest across the board in the early insufficient funds process that we did in the fall. Why should we give them money if they’re not going to be having shows or doing things like that?”

Senate members will debate more and vote on the resolution next week.

Brown encouraged everyone interested to attend the next privilege fee meeting, which ist at 5:30 p.m. Monday in Wildcat Chamber.

Also during an open period of the meeting, Bill Spiegel, supervisor for the recycling center, encouraged everyone to participate in the annual Recylemania’s “Race to Zero Waste.” Spiegel asked members of K-State to drop off recylcleables Monday through Friday anytime, but especially between now and the end of March.

The student senate will reconvene Thursday, March. 4, in a hybridized format. Because of COVID-19 restrictions, only members of SGA can meet in Wildcat Chamber, while others can join via Zoom. Students interested in attending future meetings can email Bothwell at ndbothwell@ksu.edu.