Writing alluding to white nationalist ideas found on Multicultural Student Center whiteboards

0
4443
Someone wrote messages alluding to white nationalist ideals on whiteboards in the Morris Family Multicultural Student Center on Feb. 26. (Bailey Britton | Collegian Media Group)

Phrases such as “all lives matter,” “because it’s a huge joke” and “donate to white nationalist causes” were scrawled on whiteboards in the Morris Family Multicultural Student Center on Feb. 26. The whiteboards, usually filled with questions and positive messages, are open to all to write on.

Vedant Kulkarni, student body presidential candidate and senior in journalism and management information systems, said he ran from the K-State Student Union to the multicultural center after he received a Snapchat of the whiteboards around 1:45 p.m.

“I just rushed to the Multicultural Student Center to see with my own eyes what had happened and I thought it was just one sentence,” Kulkarni said. “When I reached the Multicultural Student Center I met with Trumanue Lindsey … and we saw that on every discussion board and wherever they could write it they had written statements that were disgusting, to say the least.”

Kulkarni said Trumanue Lindsey, director of diversity and multicultural student life, was in the building when he arrived. Lindsey did not respond to a request for comment by the time of publication.

“It’s horrible,” Kulkarni said. “It’s horrific and makes me feel extremely nauseated. Just because like we have been through so much with the issue of white nationalism, white supremacy and groups promoting bigotry and to see this happening in the Multicultural Student Center, which is supposed to be our kind of like beacon of inclusivity, is appalling.”

The story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Bailey Britton
My name is Bailey Britton and I am the editor-in-chief of the Collegian. Previously, I have been the assistant news editor and the managing editor. I have also interned for the Manhattan Mercury and the Colby Free Press. I grew up in Colby, Kansas, and I am a junior in journalism and English. Through the Collegian, I aim to provide the K-State community with quality news coverage while we learn to serve our campus.