PREVIEW: Women’s basketball looks to return to winning ways

0
58
TCU against K-State women’s basketball at Schollmaier Arena in Fort Worth, Texas, on Feb. 10, 2021. (Photo/Sharon Ellman)

With the 2020-21 season coming to a close, the Kansas State women’s basketball team (7-15, 2-13 Big 12) hopes to finish strong in the first of their two final games at home. They look to take down the TCU Horned Frogs (8-12, 3-12 Big 12) in a game that was postponed back in January due to the coronavirus.

The Wildcats will count on sophomore center Ayoka Lee to be the constant threat that she has been all year long. Last time against TCU, Lee scored 26 points in the 67-78 loss, her fifth highest-scoring game of the season.

Guards junior Cymone Goodrich and sophomore Emilee Ebert will once again be in the starting rotation for the Wildcats. At the beginning of the season, this duo may not have expected to be in the starting five, but both have flourished this year under the spotlight.

Ebert continues to flourish — hitting double digits in three of her last six games, a feat she only accomplished one other time in her career. She also leads the team in assists and is second in blocks behind Lee.

Fellow guards redshirt junior Rachel Ranke and junior Christianna Carr round out the starting five for the Wildcats. This duo is one of the best in K-State history beyond the arc, being only one of three duos to play together holding 150 or more career 3-point field goals made.

The Wildcats also hope to fix their high number of turnovers in their last outing against TCU.

“There were stretches in this game where we lacked discipline,” K-State head coach Jeff Mittie said after the loss. “Part of it is confidence in being able to go make plays. When you’re struggling — particularly against the press — you’re trying not to turn the ball over as opposed to trying to advance the ball to go make a play.”

A win against TCU would move the Wildcats into a tie for eighth in the Big 12 Conference with KU and TCU. While this season has not been easy for the team, there were major improvements throughout the season and the future looks bright for the team.

The meeting between the Horned Frogs and Wildcats tips off at 6:30 p.m. in Bramlage Coliseum and can be streamed on Big 12 Now on ESPN+. Radio coverage will be through the K-State Sports Network.