Tillmanns finishes top-15 at George Hannon Invitational, K-State finishes ninth overall

0
34
A K-State men's golf player practices putting at Colbert Hills Golf Course on Mar. 9, 2017. (John Benfer | Royal Purple)

Kansas State sophomore Tim Tillmanns earned a tie for 14th in Tuesday’s George Hannon Collegiate Invitational at the UT Golf Club in Austin, Texas. Hailing from Cologne, Germany, Tillmanns finished with the team’s best round at an even-par 213 with help from a 1-under par finish on the par 70 course on Tuesday.

Tillmanns, currently ranked the 70th collegiate player according to Golfstat, added to his total of top-20 finishes to four now on the season. Tillmann finished above five other ranked players in the field, including two in the top 35.

“Tim was really solid all week,” head coach Grant Robbins said in a K-State Athletics press release. “He had a tough stretch midway through his round today, but I was really proud of how he bounced back, going 3-under on the back nine.

The K-State men’s golf team started the final round in a tie for seventh and ultimately took home a ninth-place overall finish with a final score of 25-over par at 877 strokes. K-State finished even with No. 31 Baylor and West Virginia and finished one stroke back of No. 46 TCU and No. 50 Little Rock.

“As a team, it was a tough day for us,” Robbins said. “The course played pretty difficult with the greens and the hole locations, but the bottom line is we just didn’t play well enough. As a young team, it was a good learning experience. Playing on a difficult course against a field like this can expose your weaknesses, especially if you aren’t sharp with every aspect of your game. We will learn from it and get ready for another strong test at Mississippi State.”

Junior Will Hopkins tied for 37th at 7-over par at 220 strokes which included a 2-over par 73 stroke finish on Tuesday. Freshman Luke O’Neill took a 9-over par, 222 stroke finish to tie for 47th place.

Sophomore Riccardo Leo came away with an 11-over par 224 stroke finish, tying for 54th place. Senior George Clarke had a 16-over par 229 stroke finish, putting him at a tie for 65th.

The tournament host and 12th ranked Texas Longhorns claimed first place as the team rallied 21 birdies during the final round to finish at 17-under par with 834 strokes.

K-State will look to gain some momentum heading into the Old Waverly Invitational at Old Waverly Gold Club in West Point, Mississippi, from March 26 through the 28.