Women’s golf finishes middle of the pack in Tucson

0
40
(Archive photo by Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State women’s golf team traveled to Tucson, Arizona, over the weekend, where the team competed in the Mountain View Collegiate. The team dealt with windy conditions and fought hard, ultimately finishing ninth overall.

The tournament, hosted by K-State, consisted of 14 teams and played out over three days. The Wildcats started out strong, having the team’s best round of the weekend on Friday with a score of 290. The Wildcats then followed it up with scores of 299 and 304, combining for a total of 893. The great start was key in giving the Cats a 5 stroke lead over Tulsa in the end, helping the Wildcats secure ninth place at 29-over.

Sunday proved the most difficult round of the tournament, as 11 of the 14 teams, including the Cats, shot their highest scores.

“The course played tough today,” head coach Kristi Knight said to K-State Athletics, “and we had so many birdie putts that we thought were going in that didn’t fall. That happens sometimes in golf. It’s frustrating. We were all around the hole. At the end of the day, I’m proud of the ladies. It wasn’t our best ball striking the past couple days, but they battled hard today.”

Seniors Reid Isaac and Niamh McSherry, who both finished Mountain View strong, led the Wildcats. Isaac ended the tournament shooting a 73, which gave her a score of 217 for the weekend, 1-over par, and good enough to tie for 16th. McSherry had her best round Sunday, shooting a 74. This gave her an overall score of 224, putting her in a tie for 39th.

Other Wildcats who competed this weekend include freshman Napua Glossner, who finished at 9-over, tied for 42nd, sophomore Haley Vargas, finishing at 13-over tied for 49th, and junior Heather Fortushniak, scoring 17-over to tie for 57th.

Oklahoma State secured the victory. The team began the day 10 strokes behind eventual runner-up Texas, before having the Sooners’ best round of the tournament, shooting a score of 278. This allowed the team to finish two strokes ahead of the Longhorns, with a score of 20-under.

The Wildcats have a quick turnaround as the team plays March 28 in The Bruzzy, held at Lantana Golf Club in Argyle, Texas.