K-State, Missouri end game in a draw after Wildcats make a comeback

0
65
Sophomore forward Jenna Brown moves the ball during K-State's 2-0 loss to KU on March 6, 2021. (Sophie Osborn | Collegian Media Group)

With nine minutes to play in regulation on Sunday afternoon, the Kansas State soccer team gave up its third goal of the day against Missouri, putting the Wildcats down 3-1 as all hoped seemed lost — but not if senior Brookelynn Entz and sophomore Aliyah El-Naggar had anything to say about it.

The two netted two goals in the final seven minutes of action to send the Wildcats into overtime with the Tigers and ended the match with a 3-3 draw.

“For our morale and our confidence, this was massive,” head coach Mike Dibbini said in a K-State Athletics press release. “Missouri is a good solid team, playing to get into the NCAA Tournament. They’re just on the bubble looking in. For us to go on the road and do it, not only at KU but doing it here and get a point, that’s massive for us confidence-wise. It shows that we’re capable of not only getting a result on the road but knowing how to do it in comeback fashion.”

The first goal in the final seven-minute span came in the 83rd minute as Entz scored her second goal of the match, with the first coming in the 58th minute. The goal put K-State down just 3-2 and came off of an El Naggar and Maddie Weichel assist, leading to an easy tap-in goal for Entz.

K-State almost tied the game two minutes later as the Wildcats earned a penalty kick and put it all in the hands of Entz, who was on the verge of recording the first hat trick in school history. Entz missed the penalty kick, leaving the Wildcats down a point in the 85th minute.

Even with the miss, K-State continued to battle in the final five minutes of action, and it paid off with just under 30 seconds to play.

After drawing two defenders near the box, Entz sent a pass to El-Naggar who netted her first career collegiate goal with 89:32 to play, sending the match into overtime. The goal is just the second game-tying goal in program history.

Dibbini credits the goals to a formation change that the Wildcats decided to make in the last 20 minutes of the match.

“We wanted our backs to get higher up the field,” Dibbini said. “They only had three back, so we wanted to create more space where they’re susceptible, their outsides. We also made a formation change going into the last 20 minutes. It threw them off and it created a lot of chances for us and we just kept building momentum from there.”

K-State and Missouri played in two overtime sessions and neither could find a way to break through as Entz had a decent look in the 96th minute of the first overtime, while Shae Turner shot the ball over the net in the dying moments of the second overtime in the 109th minute.

The draw for the Wildcats is their second straight, as the Wildcats had a 0-0 draw with Kansas in their last match on March 13.

Entz set multiple school records on Sunday afternoon, with her two goals upping her total goals on the season to seven, the most goals in a single-season in K-State soccer history. The assist for Entz on the game-tying goal also moved the senior to first in career assists in school history at eight total.

K-State had four assists on the day as a team, tying a school record for assists in a match, with the last time the Wildcats hit four assists coming in 2018.

Overall, Missouri led the way in total shots 21-16 and 11-7 when it came to shots on goal.

K-State’s next match will be a closed friendly against Kansas City NWSL at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, as the match was rescheduled from its original March 20 date. The match comes before the Wildcat’s final countable match of the season on April 10, as the team hosts Iowa State at noon at Buser Family Park.

Hey! I’m Cameron Bradley and I am the sports editor for the Collegian! I am a junior from Wichita, Kansas, and I am majoring in journalism. When I’m not working for the Collegian, I’m creating content and putting on broadcasts with K-StateHD.TV. I am also currently a member of the Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity. I love sports, spending time with friends, family and doing everything that I do for the glory of God!