Men’s golf struggles to find success at Old Waverly Collegiate Championship

0
45
Coach Grant Robbins and Ben Fernandez discuss pitching techniques on the driving range during practice on April 15, 2019 at Colbert Hills golf course. (Archive Photo by Brooke Barrett | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State finished in last place with Southern Mississippi at the Old Waverly Collegiate Championship hosted by Mississippi State in West Point, Mississippi.

Senior George Clarke led K-State on Sunday finishing 1-under with a 71 on Sunday. He was the only Wildcat to finish under par on the day. Clarke moved up 10 spots on the leaderboard in a tie for 72nd at 10-over par 226.

Junior Will Hopkins posted the best overall score for the Wildcats during the 54-hole weekend carding 4-over par 220 to tie for 46th on the weekend.

Sophomore Tim Tillmanns could not find success in the latter half of the weekend, shooting 10-over par, 82, on Sunday’s final round. Tillmanns would finish two strokes behind Hopkins at 6-over par 222, placing him in a tie for 58th.

Sophomore Riccardo Leo finished one stroke behind Tillmanns tied for 62nd shooting 7-over par 223 on the weekend, and freshman Luke O’Neill finished tied for 86th after carding a 9-over par 225 on the weekend.

No. 13 Georgia came away with the Old Waverly Collegiate Championship title finishing 20-under par 844 on the weekend. The Bulldogs finished 10 strokes ahead of the second-place Mississippi State.

The Wildcats will return to the course for the Missouri Tiger Invitational, the first of three-straight tournaments in the midwest region starting on April 5-6.