Women’s golf struggles in final rounds of The Bruzzy

0
39
(Archive photo by John Benfer | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State women’s golf team struggled in the final two rounds of The Bruzzy at Lantana Golf Club, finishing 13th after the two-day event came to an end Monday afternoon.

Tied for fifth after the first round, the team dropped eight places over the rest of the tournament, a result head coach Kristi Knight said she wasn’t pleased with.

“It was a disappointing result for us,” Knight said in a release to K-State Athletics. “There was such a small margin separating these teams and the ladies did their best. We were unable to keep the momentum and overall level of play we had in round one.”

Eight of the 15 teams at the tournament came in ranked, so the Wildcats knew the tournament would be tough from the start. The team was a contender after a first-round score of 290 but quickly fell back with a second-round score of 301.

“We went out in the first round and saw a really solid score,” Knight said after the second round. “Then we started the second round and was immediately way over par. It was unfortunate and we cost ourselves six places in the standings.”

Individually, senior Reid Isaac still played well. She tied for sixth heading into the final round and ended up dropping down to a tie for 15th to finish 1-over par (217). The placement gave Isaac her fourth top-20 finish of the year.

Senior Niamh McSherry finished 6-over par (222), placing 37th. Sophomore Haley Vargas shot even-par (72) in the final round after a 12-over par (156) first two rounds, moving her from 75th place to a tie for 60th, which impressed Knight.

“Shout out to Haley. She rebounded big time today with an even-par round even in challenging windy conditions,” Knight said.

Freshman Napau Glossner and junior Heather Fortushniak rounded out the rest of the team, both scoring 16-over par (232) and leaving them in a tie for 70th.

Oklahoma State ran away with the win, beating second-place Texas Tech by 13 strokes with the help of junior Lianna Bailey’s eight-stroke individual win.

After back-to-back weeks on the road, taking ninth last weekend in Tucson, Arizona, the Wildcats will rest for a couple of weeks before returning to action at the Houston Oaks Invitational in Hockley, Texas, at Houston Oaks Golf Club, April 12-13.

Houston Oaks will be somewhat of a home meet for Isaac, who grew up 45 minutes away from the course in Montgomery, Texas.