Soccer falls in final home match of season

0
73
Freshman goalkeeper Alaina Werremeyer throws a saved ball to a teammate during K-State's 2-0 loss to KU on March 6, 2021. (Sophie Osborn | Collegian Media Group)

In Kansas State soccer’s final home game of the spring season, offensive struggles plagued the Wildcats to a 1-0 loss against Iowa State, a team the Wildcats defeated back in October.

“[Iowa State] controlled the pace of the game,” K-State senior Brookelynn Entz said.

Entz, who ended the game with three shots, a shot on goal and a yellow card, had one of the best opportunities for a score by K-State on the day. In the 58th minute, Entz sent a shot straight towards the net, but Iowa State goalkeeper Jordan Silkowitz shot her hand up at the last second to send Entz’s shot over the top of the net.

Freshman Maddie Weichel almost found her first score of the year in the 52nd minute but was called offsides as her shot bounced off the left post and skipped across the front of the goal. Without the offsides call, there could have been a possibility for a teammate to punch the ball in.

“[The coaches] kept telling me to play the long ball over the top,” Weichel said, “so I tried to make that run, but they called me offsides.”

The one goal for Iowa State came early on in the 12th minute, as Iowa State senior Tavin Hays was first blocked by K-State freshman goalkeeper Alaina Werremeyer, but the clear-out by K-State sophomore Shannon Dukes deflected off of Hays back into the net.

“It was a slip-through ball,” Werremeyer said, “that’s what they were looking for all game. I got out, got as big as I could, it deflected off of me right to where she needed it … it’s unfortunate but her work ethic was good.”

K-State head coach Mike Dibbini says the one goal got into the K-State players’ heads and kept them from playing as well as they are used to playing.

“At this level, it’s a major factor,” Dibbini said. “They were a lot more aggressive than us. Looking at the foul count here you could tell that their mindset and their urgency and their aggressiveness was disruptive to what we are trying to do. We didn’t compete for the 90 minutes like we are capable of doing. Just looked like we were very reactive today.”

Entz credited the loss to a lack of preparation and fire brought by the Wildcats today.

“Just knowing our defensive assignments, I feel as if we were a bit disorganized,” Entz said. “I just think we needed to bring the energy. I think that was the major thing today.”

Dibbini was upset the team couldn’t deliver a win in the final home game of the season but is thankful for the crowds that have been able to attend at the limited capacity Buser Family Park.

“[The fans] are our 12th man,” Dibbini said.

For Entz, the home loss was disappointing since the Wildcats will finish off the season with just two home victories.

“We obviously want to do well for our fans,” Entz said. “They come out. We haven’t been able to [win] for them this spring and hopefully we can do that in the fall.”

The final match of the 2020 season for the Wildcats is next Saturday, April 17, as K-State travels to Norman, Oklahoma, to take on the Oklahoma Sooners at 1 p.m.