Showdowns against Oklahoma highlight this weekend in K-State Sports

0
51
Six teams compete this weekend across K-State Athletics. (Infographic by Kaylie Mclaughlin | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State baseball, soccer and tennis teams will all take on the Oklahoma Sooners in a busy weekend for K-State Sports. Track and field and both golf teams will also hit the road.

Baseball

The K-State baseball team kicks off its first series with increased capacity inside Tointon Family Stadium this weekend, taking on the Oklahoma Sooners Friday through Sunday. Capacity for the season was originally set at 25 percent, but on Wednesday afternoon it was announced that Tointon Family Stadium will increase its capacity to 50 percent, meaning 1,100 fans can attend this weekend’s series.

The Wildcats (19-14, 2-7) and the Sooners (18-15, 3-6) both sit in the bottom portion of the Big 12 Conference standings, with K-State sitting in last place and Oklahoma sitting in seventh. The Sooners bring in one of the Big 12’s top-scoring offenses, sitting at the top of the Big 12 in batting average (.302), and also have the top hitter in the Big 12 in Tyler Hardman, who has a .465 batting average.

Junior Kamron Willman steps up to bat during the April 14, 2021 game against Northern Colorado at Tointon Family Stadium. (Sophie Osborn | Collegian Media Group)

Prospective first-round draft pick Jordan Wicks will surely be put to the test on Friday night, as the sophomore star pitcher has recorded 66 total strikeouts so far this season and 24 in Big 12 play. The first pitch on Friday night is scheduled for 6 p.m., with Saturday’s matchup set for 4 p.m. and Sunday’s series finale scheduled for 1 p.m. All games will be broadcasted on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.

Soccer

The K-State soccer team closes out its unprecedented spring season on Saturday afternoon in Norman, Oklahoma, taking on the Oklahoma Sooners. The Wildcats enter Saturday’s contest with a 3-8-2 record and haven’t won since its 2-0 fall season finale victory over Texas Tech on Nov. 13, 2020.

Sophomore midfielder Shae Turner attempts to communicate with teammates during the March 6, 2021 game against KU. (Sophie Osborn | Collegian Media Group)

Oklahoma enters the match winless on the season with an 0-12-2 record — one of those ties coming this spring season in a 2-2 draw with Iowa State. Freshman forward CeCe Cross has only started in two games with the Sooners, but leads the team in goals scored with two.

As has been the story all season long, senior midfielder Brookelynn Entz has led the way for the Wildcats with seven goals scored — one of those coming in K-State’s 3-0 shutout victory over the Sooners back on Oct. 16, 2020. The Wildcats and Sooners will kick things off at 1 p.m. on Saturday afternoon, with all of the action broadcasted live on Bally Sports Southwest.

Track and field

After earning nine event titles at the Jim Click Shootout in Tucson, Arizona, last weekend, the K-State track and field team travels to Waco, Texas, on Friday and Saturday for the Michael Johnson Invitational. The Wildcats have not competed at home since the Steve Miller Open on Feb. 20.

Senior Ariel Okorie jumps in the high jump event at the K-State track meet in Ahearn Field House on Feb. 17, 2017. (John Benfer | The Collegian)
Senior Ariel Okorie jumps in the high jump event at the K-State track meet in Ahearn Field House on Feb. 17, 2017. (Archive Photo by John Benfer | Collegian Media Group)

This weekend’s action begins on Friday at noon with the field events before transitioning into the running events with the women’s 1,500 meter run at 7 p.m. Saturday’s events kick off with the field events at 9:30 a.m. before transitioning into the running events at 1:30 p.m. with the 100m/110m hurdles.

Tennis

Coming off its first home losses in over a year, the matches for the K-State tennis team don’t get much easier this week. Entering its fifth and sixth straight matches against an ITA-ranked opponent this weekend, the Wildcats host No. 40 Oklahoma State on Friday afternoon and No. 24 Oklahoma on Sunday afternoon.

K-State enters this weekend with a 7-9 record overall and a 2-5 record in Big 12 play, putting the Wildcats at eighth in the Big 12 standings. The Cowgirls are 9-10 on the season and 2-4 in conference play, putting them just ahead of K-State in the conference standings at seventh.

Junior Maria Linares competes against Washington at Body First Tennis Center on Feb.  14, 2020. (Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)
Junior Maria Linares competes against Washington at Body First Tennis Center on Feb. 14, 2020. (File Photo by Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

Oklahoma sits at 12-5 on the year and 3-3 in conference play, putting it at fifth in the conference. Friday’s match against Oklahoma State begins at 3 p.m. and it wouldn’t be a surprise if the match was played indoors at Body First Tennis Center because of rain. Sunday’s match against Oklahoma is set to begin at noon, most likely played at Mike Goss Tennis Stadium.

Women’s golf

The K-State women’s golf team kicks off postseason play on Sunday and will continue until Tuesday in the Big 12 Championship at The Club of Carlton Woods in Woodlands, Texas. Play will begin at 8 a.m. each day at the 6,345-yard, par-72 Tom Fazio Championship Course.

Niamh McSherry practices with a 7 iron on the Colbert Hills Golf Course range on September 18, 2018. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)
Niamh McSherry practices with a 7 iron on the Colbert Hills Golf Course range on Sept. 18, 2018. (Archive Photo by Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

The teams will play 18-holes each day and will be paired with two other teams for each day. For the first day, K-State is paired with TCU and in-state rival Kansas.

The second and third day pairings depend on the results of the previous day. Live scores and stats can be found on Golfstat.

Men’s golf

The K-State men’s golf team will compete in its final regular-season competition of the season prior to the Big 12 Championship in Hutchinson, Kansas, on April 26-27. The Wildcats will compete in the Git-R-Done Husker Invitational on Saturday and Sunday this weekend in Lincoln, Nebraska.

K-State will compete at the 6,672-yard, par-71 Firethorn Golf Course against plenty of different competition.

A K-State golfer practices at Colbert Hills Golf Course in 2018. (Brooke Barrett | Collegian Media Group)
A K-State golfer practices at Colbert Hills Golf Course in 2018. (Archive Photo by Brooke Barrett | Collegian Media Group)

The Wildcats come off its best finish of the season at the MU Tiger Invitational on April 5-6, where K-State took 2nd out of 14 teams. Junior Will Hopkins recorded his first-ever top-five finish with a 9-under par 207 in that competition, putting him at third place overall.

Cameron Bradley
Hey! I’m Cameron Bradley and I am the sports editor for the Collegian! I am a junior from Wichita, Kansas, and I am majoring in journalism. When I’m not working for the Collegian, I’m creating content and putting on broadcasts with K-StateHD.TV. I am also currently a member of the Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity. I love sports, spending time with friends, family and doing everything that I do for the glory of God!