Collegian Media Group welcomes editors-in-chief for 2021-22 publications

0
275
(Archive photo by Dene Dryden | Collegian Media Group)

The Collegian Media Group announced new editors-in-chief for the 2021-22 academic year. Appointees have been selected for the Kansas State Collegian, Royal Purple yearbook and Manhappenin’ magazine.

Jared Shuff, junior in secondary education, will become the Collegian’s editor-in-chief following serving as the culture editor.

(Photo courtesy of Jared Shuff)
(Photo courtesy of Jared Shuff)

While Shuff did not originally anticipate applying for this position, he is excited to take on the role and carry the experience into his future career teaching English and journalism.

While discussing goals for the paper, Shuff emphasized multimedia, open communication and capturing voices throughout K-State.

“The other thing that I just really want to make sure we’re doing is getting the stories out of different groups on campus and just making sure K-State is represented in its totality,” Shuff said.

With in-person classes next fall, Shuff is also excited to see more people back in the newsroom and hopefully produce more story coverage as on-campus activities resume.

“It’ll be nice to have the newsroom opened up and really get to see all the writers, all the editors and just build that community up again,” Shuff said.

Shuff said he wants to continue building relationships with the staff and keep an open line of communication as he heads into next year.

Holly Delay, junior in strategic communications and art director, will become editor-in-chief for the Manhappenin’ magazine until she graduates next December.

Delay has been with the magazine since the fall of 2019. She will take over for current editor-in-chief Natalie Leonard.

(Photo courtesy of Holly Delay)
(Photo courtesy of Holly Delay)

Delay has helped with production design for both the magazine and newspaper. She also holds the position of creative manager for the Collegian advertising staff.

“I’ve really enjoyed just being able to work with a bunch of creative people and put something together that means a lot to, not just the team, but to K-State as well,” Delay said.

Delay is excited to lead the team and see what they can come up with from a leadership role.

“I’m so excited because we’ve spent a whole year not being able to meet in person with the team, and when we’re able to meet in person you get a feel for everyone,” Delay said. “It’ll just be nice to get back to how it was.”

Delay’s goals include increasing online and social media presence and improving diversity within the team members. Another goal of hers is to have weekly in-person meetings.

Hallie Everett, junior in journalism and co-editor-in-chief of the Royal Purple, will become the solo editor-in-chief next fall.

While Everett works well with her current editor, she is looking forward to the challenges and responsibilities that will come with the position next year.

“It would be hard for me to find a part of this job that I don’t enjoy a lot,” Everett said. “I just wanted to come back because it would be really hard for me to see myself not being a part of this for my senior year because I love it so much.”

Everett became copy editor as a second-semester freshman and has held leadership positions throughout her time with the yearbook. She said she began writing stories casually, but the yearbook soon became a huge part of her life.

(Photo courtesy of Hallie Everett)
(Photo courtesy of Hallie Everett)

“Through having these leadership positions ever since my freshman year, I have discovered a passion for leadership. I love being a leader for them,” Everett said.

Everett sets out to continue improving staff culture and book sales. She also hopes to return the book to its normal 360 pages if resources allow.

“We survived this year, so I don’t have hesitations about surviving the next year,” Everett said when addressing the yearbook’s changes because of COVID-19.

As on-campus activities are set to resume in the fall, the new editors-in-chief get ready to document the next year of K-State history.