Hubert drafted to the Cincinnati Bengals in 2021 NFL Draft

0
194
Then-sophomore defensive end Wyatt Hubert looks at the crowd during a game against the TCU Horned Frogs. (Archive Photo by Dalton Wainscott I Collegian Media Group )

Former Kansas State defensive end Wyatt Hubert was selected as the 235th pick by the Cincinnati Bengals in the seventh round of the 2021 NFL Draft.

Hubert, who declared for the NFL Draft as a junior, was finally relieved of his long wait to be selected by an NFL team.

The Bengals are no strangers to using draft picks on K-State players and more specifically defensive ends. Former Wildcat Jordan Willis was also selected in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft to join the Bengals organization.

Hubert, standing at 6-foot-3-inches, 270 pounds, will be joining the other defensive lineman selected by the Bengals this season, Cameron Sample of Tulane, and Tyler Shelvin of LSU.

Over the course of Hubert’s three-year career at K-State, he finished eighth in school history in career sacks with 20, seventh in the 2020 NCAA season in sacks-per-game (0.59), 10th in the 2020 NCAA season in tackles-for-loss-per-game (1.00) and will finish just outside of the top-10 in school history in tackles-for-loss with 34.

The Topeka native also earned his second consecutive 2020 First Team All-Big 12 honor in his junior season while putting together one of his best statistical seasons for K-State.

Hubert recorded 27 tackles, 13 tackles-for-loss and 8.5 sacks with the latter two being career highs in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season.

Hubert also earned votes for the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year award and was a semifinalist for the Ted Hendricks Award- recognizing college football’s best defensive end- and was put on the watch list for the Bronco Nagurski Award- recognizing college football’s best defensive player.

Hubert will be set and ready to go with the Bengals next season in mid-July when the NFL training camps start.