Countdown to Kickoff: 98 days away with defensive tackle Timmy Horne

0
231
Leading up to the start of K-State's 2021 football season, the Collegian takes a look at what to expect and highlights every player on the roster. (Archive photo by Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

Continuing the countdown to kickoff, the Collegian focuses on No. 98 Timmy Horne, a graduate transfer defensive tackle from the University of Charlotte in North Carolina.

Horne started his football career at Anson High School under head coach Ralph Jackson in Wadesboro, North Carolina.

A three-year letter-winning athlete, Horne recorded 39 tackles, three and a half sacks and two fumble recoveries during his high school career. Horne was invited to play in the 2015 Shrine Bowl and was a dual-sport athlete, playing basketball at Anson.

Coming out of Anson High School, Horne was a two-star recruit standing at 6 foot 4 inches and weighing 281 pounds. After four years at Charlotte, Horne bulked up to 6 foot 5 inches and 320 pounds.

At Charlotte, Horne played in 43 games and recorded 101 total tackles, including 14 tackles-for-loss. Horne was also strong on special teams for the 49ers, recording two blocked kicks during his tenure at Charlotte. During his senior year, Horne earned Fourth-Team All-Conference USA honors.

Horne isn’t unfamiliar with Kansas State and the Manhattan community. During his redshirt freshman season, Horne traveled to the Little Apple. The K-State faithful left a lasting impression on him.

“The crowd experience was something else. I just remember that after leaving the game — for a week straight — I just heard ‘K-S-U’ chants in my head,” Horne said at the spring media press conference.

Horne could possibly replace defensive tackle Drew Wiley, who decided not to return for the Wildcats. K-State had very few defensive tackle players this past year but is reinforced this year with the addition of Horne.

A sociology major with a minor in American studies, Horne will play out his last year of eligibility with the Wildcats, looking to help the team out in any way he can.