Countdown to Kickoff: 90 days away with defensive end Bronson Massie

0
100
Leading up to the start of K-State's 2021 football season, the Collegian takes a look at what to expect and highlights every player on the roster. (Archive photo by Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

Returning for his redshirt senior year at Kansas State is No. 90, Bronson “Boom” Massie. He announced his plans to return for his final season through Twitter on Dec. 21, 2020.

Massie joins fellow notable returning seniors Skylar Thompson, Noah Johnson, Jahron McPherson and Cody Fletcher.

With K-State losing the final five games of the 2020 season, Massie left with a sour taste in his mouth after a solid 4-1 start.

“The big reason why I decided to come back… part of me felt like last year we didn’t finish on a strong note,” Massie said in a press conference.

Massie came to K-State in 2016 as the 16th ranked defensive end in football powerhouse Texas, according to Scout.com. He redshirted his freshman season before playing nine games in 2017.

The Lufkin, Texas, native received offers from California, Colorado State, Louisiana Tech, Texas State and Washington before deciding on the Wildcats.

Statistically, Massie has improved every season during his time at K-State, racking up career-highs of 13 tackles, 4.5 tackles-for-loss and 2.5 sacks this past season. Massie’s career numbers include 41 tackles, six tackles-for-loss and 3.5 sacks.

Those numbers might not seem otherworldly, but they are when the man in front of you is Wyatt Hubert. Hubert was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals and was a two-time First Team All-Big 12 selection.

Massie said Hubert made an impact on him, teaching him how to be “professional” by doing things like taking notes and dieting.

“I never understood that. Growing up, I never understood that. [Hubert] helped me become a student of the game,” Massie said.

Massie’s resume includes a fumble recovery against Kansas in the last 20 seconds to win the 2018 game and a sack against No. 3 Oklahoma in the 2020 win.

He has the potential for a big 2021 season as a presumptive starter. With just two starts in his 42 games, this is a new role for Massie. Still, the 6 foot 4 inches, 258-pound senior is focused on winning.

“I want to give all I got and bring my brothers with me,” Massie said.