Countdown to Kickoff: 74 days away with offensive lineman Austin Weiner

0
221
Leading up to the start of K-State's 2021 football season, the Collegian takes a look at what to expect and highlights every player on the roster. (Archive photo by Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

The Gardner, Kansas, athlete comes to Manhattan as a three-star prospect and was ranked the seventh-best player in Kansas out of high school.

Weiner is no stranger to Kansas State athletics. His uncle played football and his mother, aunt and uncle all played basketball for the Wildcats. Weiner’s father is an all-time great football player. Todd Weiner was selected as a First-Team All-American his senior year and played 11 years of professional football with Seattle and Atlanta.

Like his father, Weiner is coming into the program at a weight some might say is undersized for an offensive tackle. The average lineman at the Division I level usually weighs around 300 pounds.

Todd Weiner came to Manhattan at 6 foot 5 inches and 225 pounds but put on 75 pounds during his tenure for the Wildcats. Austin Weiner is currently listed at 6 foot 6 inches and 240 pounds. However, if his father is any proof, Weiner could buff up in no time.

Along with taking over his father’s NFL number — No. 74 — size is not the only comparison in the father-son relationship. Both players were relatively new to the offensive tackle position coming to K-State and were most successful in high school at tight end — a better fit for their size. However, the consensus around recruiters is that Austin is ready to go at tackle.

A standout player on both sides of the football, Austin Weiner’s high school highlight reel consisted of mostly sacks as a defensive end. That kind of ferocity could help in a downhill attack when blocking for running back Deuce Vaughn.

Weiner received offers from Division I programs like Central Michigan, Jacksonville State, Kent State and Toledo before announcing his signing to K-State on Twitter this past June.

In the tweet, Weiner thanks a few of his coaches for encouraging him to “give football a try” his freshman year of high school. Doubling as a basketball player, Weiner had not played the sport his father excelled in until later than most but has produced at a high level.

Weiner went to Milton High School just 45 minutes north of Atlanta, Georgia, where his father spent seven years blocking for the Falcons — five of them for Michael Vick. He moved to Gardner Edgerton High School for his senior season, where he was selected First-Team All-State by Sports in Kansas.

Even with his connection to K-State, the chance to play at Bill Snyder Family Stadium is a big deal for Weiner.

“Yeah, this did mean a whole lot to me,” Weiner said in an interview with Rivals. “I can remember, ever since I was little, Mark Simoneau and my dad would tell me stories about Kansas State. It really means a lot to have received this offer.”

With size being the downside for Weiner coming in, he probably will not see immediate playing time unless he bulks up over the summer. However, with his skill set, he could become an impact player early and often.

Weiner plans on majoring in business, but if his father’s success is any reminder, Weiner may have bigger goals ahead of him.