Countdown to Kickoff: 71 days away with offensive lineman Logan Long

0
164
Leading up to the start of K-State's 2021 football season, the Collegian takes a look at what to expect and highlights every player on the roster. (Archive photo by Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

Hailing from Woodward, Oklahoma, Logan Long played under head coach Craig Hixon at Woodward High School, where he earned All-State honors during his senior year in 2016 from the Oklahoma Coaches Association.

Long also played in the 2016 101 Classic Bowl, which awards athletes for their high performance both academically and athletically in the tri-state area of Woodward. He was the valedictorian of his graduating class.

Long redshirted his freshman year in 2017 and only saw playing time in the spring game during his redshirt freshman season in 2018.

Long really came on to the scene in 2019, playing in all 13 games — including his first career start against TCU. Long helped the Wildcats rank fourth in the Big 12 in rushing yards per game, averaging 178 yards. He also contributed to K-State ranking third in the Big 12 in rushing touchdowns with 29 rushing touchdowns overall for the Wildcats.

During the rest of the 2019 season, Long played tight end, recording three catches for 10 yards. He earned First-Team Academic All-Big 12 honors during his redshirt sophomore season.

In 2020, Long switched from tight end to offensive lineman, gaining almost 30-pounds to help strengthen his position change.

Long played in seven games during the 2020 season, mainly on special teams and as a rotation man on the line. He again received First-Team Academic All-Big 12 honors to finish his redshirt junior season.

Long graduated from K-State in May of 2021 with a degree in political science but will return for a final season with the Wildcats in the fall.

Long will likely play as a reserve and rotation offensive lineman with other recruits and transfer players like Kingsley Ugwu, who is coming to play for K-State this season.