Countdown to Kickoff: 64 days away with offensive lineman Trevor Stange

0
199
Leading up to the start of K-State's 2021 football season, the Collegian takes a look at what to expect and highlights every player on the roster. (Archive photo by Dylan Connell | Collegian Media Group)

Next on the countdown to kickoff series, the Collegian highlights redshirt sophomore offensive lineman Trevor Stange out of Coppell, Texas.

Standing at 6 foot 4 inches and weighing 270 pounds, Stange came to Kansas State with the class of 2019. He received a 5.5, three-star rating from Rivals.

K-State wasn’t the only team showing interest in Stange. He received offers from nine other schools, including Air Force, Cornell, Harvard, Minnesota, New Mexico State, North Texas, Princeton, Syracuse and Texas Tech.

Stange was a four-year starter for Coppell High School, where he was rated the 68th best offensive guard in the nation by ESPN. Strange earned all-district honors in all four years he played at Coppell.

Stange announced his commitment to K-State on May 25, 2018, on Twitter with a picture of himself as a baby holding his father’s football helmet.

Stange’s father Russ played for K-State from 1987 to 1988.

“I am excited for him because it was my university, [and] now it is his university,” Russ Stange said in an interview with Coppell Student Media in 2018. “It’s [his] university, [he is] representing them. It holds a bond for me because I didn’t just go to school there, I contributed to the culture and the atmosphere at K-State.”

Russ Stange sadly passed away in 2020, but Trevor continues carrying on his legacy, playing the same position and wearing the same number as his father.

“It feels like a little bit of weight on my shoulders, a little bit of expectation, but it’s a great feeling because people go, ‘Oh, you’re related to him,'” Trevor said in the same Coppell Student Media article. “There’s a history right there and I’m glad I get to be a part of it.”

K-State will play Stanford on Sep. 4 in Arlington, Texas at AT&T Stadium. This environment is nothing new for Stange, as he was selected to play in International Bowl X at AT&T Stadium.

Stange redshirted his freshman year in 2019 and did not see any game action in 2020.

With upperclassmen like Noah Johnson, Christian Duffie and transfer players like Kingsley Ugwu coming into K-State, Stange may have to wait a bit longer before stepping on the field.